Cinnamon and Apple Cider

Look at me writing a fluff piece where Henry doesn't get injured. This never happens. Also, short because I'm not the best at writing long fluff fics. Also, implied minor character death, but it's not sad, I don't think so anyway. 

I personally had mixed emotions about November. Autumn is definitely my favourite season, the leaves are beautiful, with hues of red, orange, yellow and brown. The air is crisp and perfect for comfy sweaters. And Halloween! It's the best holiday, and no you cannot change my mind. But November. Ugh. It's when the trees are nearly bare, the air becomes too cold for just sweaters. Though snow is a rarity, maybe 15 days of the winter, and hardly any in the fall, it just feels like the worse month of autumn. 

But today, with the frigid temperatures, and blustering winds, even the criminals of Swellview weren't out in this weather. So, myself, Piper, Charlotte, Jasper, Schwoz and Rai were down in the Man Cave, cold because the heating was down. 

"How can the heating be down?" Piper grumbled. 

"We have been over this, the central heating system was damaged, so we are waiting for new parts. Until then, the heating is going to be down." Schwoz explains for what feels like the umpteenth time. 

Piper groans. Though to be honest, I can't blame her, I didn't feel all that much better either. 

"Oh come on kids, it's not that bad! It's fall! The time of sugar and spice and-"

"Rai I swear to the gods, if you finish that sentence with the phrase 'and all things nice', I will slap you." Charlotte snapped. 

Rai harumphed but continued. "I wasn't going to say that, I was going to say that it's the time of sugar and spice, and cinnamon and apple cider, and warm teas on cold days, and red and gold leaves on the ground, and cozy sweaters! It's autumn! And plus, there's pumpkin spice." Rai said dreamily, remembering his favourite seasonal drink. 

"Yeah but Rai, it's November, the weather's too cold for just sweaters, most stores are getting rid of their pumpkin spice to make room for candy cane drinks even though it's not even December, and it's so damn cold down here I think I'm going to die!" I groaned dramatically. "And plus, I've never even had apple cider." 

At this, Rai gave a dramatic gasp as if I'd offended him in some way. "You've never had apple cider?" I shook my head no. "Not even with cinnamon sticks?" Rai gasped again. Again I shook my head. "Has anyone else not had cinnamon and apple cider?" The group collectively stayed quiet. "Well this just won't do at all."

Rai launched himself off of the couch and towards the auto snack. 

"Rai what are you-" Jasper started. 

"Six mugs of hot apple cider with cinnamon sticks, non-alcoholic." He adds. 

"Six mugs of hot apple cider with cinnamon sticks, non-alcoholic." The auto snack repeats. The hatch sliding open to reveal a tray of steaming mugs, with two cinnamon sticks poking out the top. Rai rubbed his hands together in excitement before he pulled the tray from the machine. He quickly passed around the mugs, handing me a dark purple pottery mug, a black, wool cozy around the mug to keep my hands from being burned. 

Rai quickly settled back into the couch. "Alright, three, two, one, try it!" 

We all took a sip of the cider. The golden mixture warming my throat and stomach. I couldn't help the sound of content I made as it warmed me despite the freezing temperatures of the Man Cave. It felt like... it felt like a hug. 

"Wow."  I whispered in aw. 

"Really Rai, this is amazing!" Charlotte agreed. 

"Just what I needed to warm up." Jasper sighed in content. 

"It tastes like autumn." Piper smiled. 

"Where did you learn about this?" Schwoz asked. 

A smile creeped upon Rai's face, he looked like he was having a brilliant memory. "My mum used to make this for me when I was cold. I can't believe I forgot about that." 

"That's so sweet." I smiled at him. 

"A lot of good memories attached to the drink then?" Piper laughed. 

"She was the best. She gave warm hugs and made the best cider. The auto snack's cider has nothing on hers. I'll have to look for her recipe. I bet she would love that I was sharing her cider with my family." Rai smiled wistfully. 

"I bet she would." Jasper agreed, squeezing Rai's shoulder in comfort. 

We sat in a warm silence, sipping cider and forgetting about the cold. November wasn't that bad after all. 

So, I don't know if it was obvious, but Rai's mum has died. It's not canon in the show, but we only ever heard about Rai's dad so I think that maybe Rai's mum had passed away. Fun fact, autumn is actually my favourite season for all the reasons Henry and Rai listed. Except, I'm not the biggest fan of pumpkin spice, but I remember in an episode of Henry Danger that it was mentioned Rai loved pumpkin spice lattes so I included it. I hope this fluff chapter made up for the angst previous chapter. Stay hydrated, take your meds, remember to sleep and don't forget to eat. 

Cheers!