Undercover

Rai's Point of View

It was supposed to be a one-month undercover mission. Henry would go undercover with the Iannucci Mafia under the alias Hunter Hamilton, figure out when their next major get together was and we, meaning myself, the Thunder Twins, Lady Laser and King Quick. Yeah, I even got 4 members of the T Force behind me.

Anyhow, Henry had informed us, us being Charlotte, Schwoz, Jasper, Piper and I, that there was a wedding being held at an old reck centre just outside of Swellview. So here we were, stationed outside of the only entrance, yeah I know, the fact that they don't have a fire exit is appalling, waiting for Henry's signal, when finally-

"The wedding was great, but I've got to say, the cake was a little doughy."

"Doughy cake! That's the signal! Move! Move! Move!" I order. We barge in through the doors, only to find the place deserted.

"Wait what?" Phoebe exclaimed.

My heart seemed to freeze. Countless possibilities flooded through my head, we could have the wrong location, we might be in the wrong room, but there was only one possibility that scared me to my core.

"Henry, Henry come in. Over."

"Hey, Captain." Came his reply, something sounded wrong, it was Henry, but he was different somehow. "I guess you feel for it, huh?"

"Was this all some joke!" Max yelled, his voice echoing off the walls of the deserted reck centre's gym.

"Henry where are you!" I yell through the com.

"Oh I'm long gone, you'll never find me." He replies. "But this whole friendship, it's been fun, really it has."

I felt like I had been punched in the gut. "Henry, let's talk this out, have you really thought this through?" I ask, my heart pounding in my chest. This can't be happening, this cannot be happening. He's just made a mistake, he's pulling some sort of sick joke. Plus, we'd need two minutes to trace his call.

"Nice try Cap, I know you need me on the line for at least two minutes in order for you to be able to trace the call when this is over. And don't bother with the tracker I know you injected into my arm, I cut it out." He sounded so different, not at all like the happy-go-lucky guy he normally is. Maybe they have something over him.

"Henry, whatever they have over you-"

"They have nothing but the promise of freedom, Captain. Now I'm as free as I was that time we watched sandpiper on a sandy beach."

"Henry!" I yell, hardly believing what I was hearing.

"It's Hunter Hamilton now. Bye Captain." He says, ending the communication. I hear something break before static.

"Captain Man, I don't understand, is this all a part of the mission?" Billy asked.

"No... NO! There has to be some mistake, this doesn't make sense!" I yell. I see Nora jump at my outburst. "Henry he- he wouldn't do this."

"Do what!" Phoebe yelled.

A lightbulb seemed to flick on behind Max's eyes. "Turn."

Phoebe seemed just as shocked as I am. "No, I know Henry, he wouldn't- he couldn't- right?"

"This has to be some sort of- of phase. That will pass in a day. He probably got cold feet. You know all about phases, don't you Max." Nora said. "I've met Henry before, he's the sweetest guy I've ever met."

"Yeah, but, and not to be the bearer of bad news, but my phase lasted years."

"This is just - it doesn't make sense," I whispered, but Henry sounded so off. Nothing like his normal self. That's when it all started to fall in line. Henry was so eager to do the undercover mission, he always kept his check-ins brief, he even mentioned once before that he was starting to question his position as a superhero. I'd laughed his worries off as nothing, saying that he was overreacting. Why didn't I pay closer attention?