Graduation

I tap the mic once before I begin. In the audience I see class of 2019 and their families, but I also see Rai and Schwoz.

"Hi, I'm Henry Hart. Though a lot of you knew that. When we were younger, we thought that middle school was the scariest thing ever. Turns out, a lot of us found ourselves in old Swellview Junior High. I know I did. And then suddenly, high school was the scariest thing. But, it's not. Even the unknown isn't too scary, because we will get through it. We're just leaving school, and who's telling you, you have to go straight into university? Ok maybe some of your loved ones, but you don't have to. Take a gap year. Bike the Appalachian Trail, write a book or learn to sail. Wouldn't that be cool? Or you could receive a degree in philosophy because no one is making a career out of that."

I paused as the crowd laughed.

"Travel, backpack across Europe. Do something you'll be proud of. Do something you can tell your kids. Be the cool Aunt or Uncle. Go see a musical on Broadway.
Do something you won't regret. Dye your hair blue, and when you're bored of that, shave it off. Get that tattoo you've always wanted, I know I have."

I pull down my sleeve to show them a little whirlpool that marks Kid Danger and Captain Man. I see my mother gasp before putting her head in her hands. Piper gives me a smile that shows she's proud of me.

"Be adventurous, be daring, be you. Be who you never thought you could be. And if you want to work in an office for the rest of your life, do it! If you want to be a photographer, do it! Life is too short to be unhappy." I say.

The crowd erupts in cheers and applause.

I smile before setting the mic down. When I walk off stage, people begin receiving their diplomas.

-.-.-.-

I link arms with Charlotte and Jasper as we walk out the doors for the last time.

"So, what are you gonna do?" Jasper asks.

"I have no idea." I reply.

- time skip -
- 1 month later -

As Charlotte, Jasper and we're about to board the plane to Italy, my watch begins beeping.

I nod to them and we open the watch, covering Rai's image of course.

"Hey kids!" Rai greets us.

"Hi Rai." We all reply.

"Where are you headed?"

"We're just about to board the plane to Pisa." Charlotte replies.

"Oh, you'll love Pisa!" Rai exclaims.

"We know." Jasper said.

"Hey, look, we're about to board so, how about we call you when we land?" I offer.

"Sounds good." Rai agrees.

"Bye." We all chorus.

"Bye kids."

Once Rai is gone. I adjust my backpack.

I look over to Charlotte, she smiles as she pulls her newly dyed, blue hair into a bun.

Jasper pulls off his hoodie to reveal a sleeve of magnificently done tattoos.

Backpacking across Europe, not to shabby.

Hey! So, yes, I know this was short, but where people have been graduating, I thought to make a graduation one shot for the Henry Danger kids.