It's Only A Bruise

This will definitely be short. 

I come down the tubes, lightly pressing my palm to my injured eye. Rai appeared to have just gotten back from his mission. He was still in uniform and appeared to be covered in perfume. He was stopping an armed situation in a perfume factory, and good gods, did he smell bad. A little perfume? Lovely, it makes you smell like a bouquet of flowers. Too much? It makes you smell like allergies. How does one smell like allergies? I'm not sure, but that's what Rai smelled like. 

"Ugh, you smell like a thousand roses blended with syrup, dragged in sugar." I grimace, which I soon regret as the expression agitates my swelling eye. Schwoz sniggered at my comment, not looking up from his project. 

"Yeah, well, that's what happens when someone holds a perfume factory at gunpoint! What did they think would happen? Did they think they were going to get bottles of it for free? What was their endgame?" Rai ranted, pulling a gumball out of his tube. "And why did they have to throw bottles of perfume at me..." That's when Rai caught sight of my eye.

"What?" I ask, removing my hand from my now definitely swollen eye.

"What did you do to your eye?" Rai fretted, striding over to me to get a closer look. He touched the bruise, which was immediately met by a hiss of pain and a flinch back. 

"It's nothing, really. The thug had a pair of brass knuckles, and he managed to land a hit." I offhandedly say. 

"What?" Rai incredulously exclaimed. 

"So what? I have a black eye, it's not that big of a deal." I brush off. 

"That sounds like a big deal to me!" Rai insisted. 

"Rai, it's a simple black eye. Give it a week, and it will be gone." Piper added. 

"Nuh-uh, you humans are so fragile, come here. We are fixing it up right away!" Rai demanded, grabbing my wrist and dragging me to the couch. 

"Rai, you are human." Charlotte pointed out. 

"Not like you are human!" Rai grumbles. "You are always breaking. Nicks and bruises. I swear, one of these days, you'll all just spontaneously combust!" 

"That is actually possible," Schwoz adds. "It's called spontaneous human combustion, and there have been about 200 cases since the 1600s." 

"That's really a thing?" Rai shrieks. 

"You're not helping." I hiss at Schwoz, who at least has the nerve to look sheepish. 

"Now, sit still so I can clean this." Rai insists. 

I roll my eyes, which I immediately regret at the pull on the skin around my swollen eye. 

"It really isn't that bad." I remind him. 

"Nonsense, there's blood around the cuts," Rai responded, cleaning away the blood with a damp cloth that he'd procured from the auto snack. 

"Rai, you're really overselling this. It's not that bad." I persist. 

"Yeah, I mean, I've had worse from a trip down that elevator." Jasper jokes. 

"Then I should get the elevator fixed," Rai announced. 

"Oh yeah, just like you promised to fix it four years ago?" Schwoz laughed.

"Or three years ago?" Charlotte added. 

"Or last year," Jasper said. 

"Or last week." Piper laughed. 

"Well, this time - stop moving, Henry - I'm actually going to fix it." 

"Yeah, right." I snickered, wincing as Rai pressed the cloth against my cheek. 

"Look, I just want you to be more careful," Rai said, activating what we called the worried parent voice. 

"Be more careful? Rai, I apprehended three thugs with only getting a black eye. I think I'm being pretty careful." I argue lightheartedly. In truth, it made me feel cared for when Rai worried. 

"Yeah, well, now I have to clean the blood off your eye," Rai muttered. 

"Oh, you don't have to," I say, a mischievous smile on my lips as I go to move away from him. 

"Henry Hart, I swear if you get up, I will strap you down until this cut is cleaned!" Rai threatened. 

"I'd love to see you try." I joke, but despite this, I make no move to get up. "Rai, you really don't have to do this." I insist as Rai puts bandage strips on my cut. 

"I know I don't have to do this, but you're my kid, and I want to make sure you're alright." 

A smile tugs at the corners of my mouth. "I'm your kid?" 

"Damn right, you're my kid. You're all my kids - not you, Schwoz, you're my brother - and I want to make sure you're all taken care of, is that clear?" 

"Understood." We agree in unison. 

"Now, are you sure you're fine?" 

"Yeah, I'm fine, Dad." I joke. 

"Good," Rai says as he gets up to leave. "And Henry?" 

"Yeah?" 

"Don't ever call me Dad again." He says as he walks away to his room. 

"How do you think he would feel about Mom?" I joke, looking at Jasper. 

"Let me know when you're going to do that, so I can uh run," Jasper replies. 

I smile. There's a simple pleasure in being cared for. It just feels right. 

Wow! I hope you guys liked this short chapter. I realised I've had a lot of not-so-nice Rai lately, so I wanted to show that he is a good guy and cares for his kids. 
As always, 
Cheers!