I Was Eighteen

I was thirteen when I took this job. Such a starry eyed kid with the only concern in the world being, what if I don't get a good mark on my Puerto Rican history test? I didn't think of the dangers I was putting myself in. I didn't think about how I could go on a mission and never come back alive. I didn't think about how this job would affect me. My name is Henry Hart, I had just taken the job as Kid Danger, I was thirteen.

I'm fourteen. I could have been killed by a cannonball if it wasn't for the fact that I had made myself indestructible. Sheer, dumb luck. I could have died right there and then if I hadn't been stupid yet smart enough to go through the densitizer. But I didn't think about how I could have died, I was fourteen. My name is Henry Hart, I had been Kid Danger for two years, I was fourteen.

I'm fifteen. I nearly get beaten to death by Rai after he ate a love muffin, I gain superpowers and suddenly nothing matters that much anymore because I'm basically invincible, I can move at the speed of sound, why should I care about such trivial things as life and death. My name is Henry Hart, I had been Kid Danger for three years, I was fifteen.

I'm sixteen, things are starting to get tougher, the villains are scarier, missions are harder, I thought I was going to be paralyzed because Schwoz didn't have the cure for flabber gas. But it's still my job, and I still love it. I'm a celebrity. I have fame and I'm well liked. And that's worth the risk, isn't it? My name is Henry Hart, I had been Kid Danger for four years, I'm sixteen.

I'm seventeen, my name is Henry Hart, and I'm scared. There are nights where I lay awake unsure if I should even continue my job. Where does Kid Danger begin and Henry Hart end. When did I stop being Henry Hart. I've been electrocuted, hurt, I've had my powers forcibly removed from my body, put back in, and then taken again because it was let the virus win or lose my powers, and my arm has been broken. My name is Henry Hart, I had been Kid Danger for five years.

Now I'm eighteen. I've been through so much. I've quit. Something I truly vowed to myself I'd never do. Sure, I 'quit' when I was fifteen, but I didn't really. I was just being and angst ridden teenager. I've been beaten up by cavemen, I've been through so much anxiety in the last twenty four hours. And I'm eighteen. My name is Henry Hart, and after five very long years fighting crime, risking my life and protecting Swellview's citizens, this is how it ends. I'm not making it out of this alive. My name is Henry Hart, I have been Kid Danger for nearly six years but I won't get to see the anniversary, I'm eighteen.

I stand on top of a blimp of all things, and I'm steering it into Mount Swellview. I know that there's no possible way that I make it out of this alive. I know there's nothing I can do but I wish there was.

I wasn't ready yet. There was still so much I had left to do.

I hadn't told Schwoz how incredible his inventions are in a long time. I never told him how much I believed he would be the one to find a cure to some of the most dangerous diseases. It's true. I believed that he would be big some day. I just wish I could tell him, tell him one last time.

I hadn't told my sister how much I loved her. How despite the fact that we fought and annoyed each other, she was the best sister I could have ever asked for. I could still see her freshly cut blond hair, something young her vowed to never do. Her sparkling, icy ocean blue eyes, shining with excitement about being on team superhero. Her sarcastic, Generation Z typical responses to everything, her blatant disregard for the rules and law. How I wish I could hug her one more time. I wish I could just have twenty minutes to have a mug of tea and a bowl of strawberries and cream, and just snuggle up on the couch like we do to cheer each other up. Just twenty minutes, is that too much to ask for?

I hadn't gone to Disneyland, California with Jasper like I promised to this summer. I smile to myself despite everything, picturing how he would religiously curl his naturally straight hair for roughly fourteen years. How after what felt like forever, her finally got over his obsession with buckets. What would I give to hear another rant about buckets right now. I wish I could just talk to him one last time, but he'd already evacuated Charlotte and himself from the Man Cave.