Scars To Your Beautiful

Warning! This chapter will include attempted murder, PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder), abuse and Alcoholism. But also fluff though so it's cool. Also, despite the title of this one shot, this is not a song fic, though I do really like that song. Shit, should I have made this a song fic? No it wouldn't work... For gods sake Elle, this is not the time to reevaluate your life choices, you just changed majors after two years into psychology. I'm a mess if you can't tell. 

Everyone in Boardertown knows about the Harts. It was a generally well known story. Back in 2013, Siren Hart was getting ready to leave and pick up her kids and husband from a hockey game. The roads were messy, the rain was pouring, Jake had assured her that they could call a cab home, but the kids were having none of it and refused to get in a cab, they wanted their mum to pick them up, they said that cabs were scary. To this day, Henry and Piper Hart wish they hadn't insisted on their mum picking them up. 

Because of the poor driving conditions and the ever persistent rain on the windshield, Siren did not see the oncoming car. Both cars crashed into each other, both spinning off the road. The crash yielded no survivors. 

What happened next happened over time. First came the denial, like it always does. The two minors skipped over this stage rather quickly, but their father didn't. He was always saying that his wife was just away on holiday and that she would be back soon. 

Next would be the anger, the second stage of the five stages of grief. The anger hit Piper pretty hard, but she moved on rather quickly. Henry skipped this stage all together, as well as the bargaining stage. He went straight on to depression. Their father on the other hand, he didn't get over the anger stage so easily. It festered inside him, begging to be released. So he did, he took it out on his kids, his family, everyone. He blamed them for his wife's death. His kids got to the acceptance stage, he didn't. 

But not everyone knows the full story, and to tell you that, we have to go back a little while. Back to before Jake Hart landed himself in prison. 

- flash back - 

I held Piper as we hid in my room, door locked. Downstairs, I could hear my father screaming profanities and yelling for us to come down. 

Piper let out a whimper of fear to which I quickly shush, even though I myself flinch when I hear a glass beer bottle shatter against the wall downstairs. 

Piper and I hadn't become unfamiliar to our drunken father yelling, cursing and smashing things downstairs. That didn't make it any easier. Item after item was smashed against the wall, who knows what. 

We spent every night like this. Sometimes my father would find us and sometimes he wouldn't. On the nights he did find us, we were often left with bruises, marring our skin. Though most times, I would take the brunt of the damage since most times I made sure to protect Piper. 

I learned how to apply makeup, covering bruises and eye bags with concealer. No one would ever know that we were being abused on the regular. No one would know my dad never actually went an hour without drinking. No one would know that on the few days he was sober, he acted like nothing ever happened, that he'd play the good dad, ignoring that we would flinch away from his touch. 

I was only twelve, and Piper was only seven. It's not fair. We never asked for this. For the most part, we stayed out of harms way when my dad got like this, but I guess fate had another cruel idea for tonight. 

"Henry! Piper! Where are you!" My father roared. "I don't want to hurt you, I just want to talk!" 

My naive seven year old sister tried to get up to go to our drunk father but my firm hold around her stopped her. I quickly shake my head before whispering, "Don't move."