Hidden Pain

I stumble towards Rai's bedroom door, clutching my side. It was late, far too late. I could just turn back and go home, I could deal with this in the morning, I've dealt with worse, but the screaming pain in my side demanded rectifying, so here I was, standing in front of his door, vision swimming, hand shaking as I raise it to knock. 

After a couple of grumbles about annoying foreign scientists and a few stumbles as Rai got out of bed, he threw open the door. "What Schw- oh, Henry, what are you doing here so late?" He asked, his tone changing from annoyed to confused. 

I swallow hard, as the stars dancing across my vision deepened, "I think," I swallow thickly, "I think I need some help." 

Before he could even answer, the black stars overtook my vision and I collapse onto the hard floor, my eyes closing before I even touch the ground.

- 4 hours previous - 

When we get back from the mission, I felt amazing! I could run a marathon. I know it's just the adrenaline, but I truly felt spectacular.

"We were amazing! You should have seen us out there! They could hardly get a hit on us!" Rai bragged. "I don't think they could throw a punch on us. Wow! Ugh, we are just the best superheroes of all time!" 

"Yeah ok Almighty Rai, we get it, you two were amazing." Schwoz sighed, sounding a little annoyed. 

"Well we were amazing, one of our best missions ever!" I exclaim. 

"I don't know, maybe it was your best performance wise, but I have to say, I'm kind of partial to the undercover Walldogs mission." Charlotte replied. 

"Yeah, but that was, what, four years ago. There have been much better missions since then." Jasper countered. 

"I guess I like the classics. What I didn't like was that painted suit though, good gods that looked bad." 

"I don't know, I kind of liked it." I add. 

"The pants were kind of cool." Piper agrees.

"Whatever, it doesn't matter, because this was our best mission ever!" Rai bragged. 

- time skip - 
3 Hours Previous

We were lounging on the couch when my side started to throb. Now I'm not new to soreness after work, but this wasn't it. It was growing, pulsing with my breath, and demanded attention. So of course, I chose to ignore it. 

After a while, I sent a hand to cradle my ribs, ignoring the urge to wince as my hand holds my side... that's weirdly hot? That's a problem for future Henry. 

As we continued our evening, watching the clock for the end of work, we had to stay extra late because Schwoz was suspecting we were about to start a crime wave, my side only continued to groan and deal out waves of pain as I breathed, I really needed to check that out when I get home. I silently begged for an hour of no emergencies, just this once. 

And for once, the gods listened to me. For the next hour, no emergencies came through, and the end of my shift hit at 11, sending us up to the parking lot and into my truck.

We dropped off Jasper first, he offered to walk but it was pouring out of the heavens so I refused. Charlotte was next, she quickly ran in to escape the rain, covering her crown of braids from the rain with a book she was reading.

Finally it was just myself and my sister. 

Piper and I were driving home for a while in silence when she finally spoke up. "Alright Hen, I'm calling your bluff, there's something wrong."