26 Codes

Underlined words signify the beginnings of new "Chapters/Codes". All "Chapters" are from Henry's point of view unless I say so. Some of these aren't canon accurate either, so... Some of these are quite short as well, as writing 26 'chapters' in one is incredibly exhausting, difficult and would be way too long if I put as much detail into each of them as I did for regular chapters.

Warning! This chapter contains an array of triggers, including but not exclusively, broken bones, gun violence, murder, foster care system abuse, child abuse, PTSD and more.

And the last one is purely so I can infodump.

Code A: Anaphylaxis

The Man Cave was pretty efficient at getting the job done. My team had become so close that we barely had to speak to each other for the other to get what they were trying to tell them. But what made the team so efficient was that after Piper joined, we created a set of codes, 26 codes to be exact.

It made things easier. It's easier to yell, whisper or say, "Code and then the letter." in serious situations.

Like now, for example. I have a lot of allergies, luckily only food-related ones, but allergies nonetheless, and all of them are very deadly. Well, it seems we found another one of my allergies. Kiwis.

Now the thing with anaphylactic shock is that you have very little time to act, so it was so easy to use the codes.

I was eating a kiwi when I felt my throat begin to swell. Oh, here we go again. I quickly alert Piper by smacking her on the arm. When she went to reprimand me for hitting her but saw my wide, panic-stricken eyes and my shaky letter A in sign language, she got it immediately.

She yelled. "Code A!"

Everyone immediately kicked into gear, Schwoz rushed over to the backroom after seeing the source of the allergy to find the proper EpiPen. Charlotte rubbed my back as if it would help and Piper quickly unbuttoned the buttons around my neck on my shirt so it wouldn't be as tight.

Schwoz ran back into the main room, an orange needle in hand. He quickly uncapped the pen and jabbed it into my leg. The effect was practically instantaneous. My throat loosened, and my breathing eased.

After a few moments of heavy breathing, I finally said, "Thank you."

"Anytime, kid," Rai responded.

Code B: Broken

Luckily we didn't have to call this code very often because it usually sucked for me. Code B stood for broken, or more specifically, broken bones.

Unfortunately for me, now was one of those awful times when I broke something, my wrist and most of my hand. It had been quite stupid of me if I'm being honest. Our criminal was a supervillain from Metroberg. He wasn't overly powerful, but what he could do was change every bit of his body into solid steel while remaining mobile. I thought that if I could catch him by surprise by sneaking up on him and punching him in the neck, it would knock the wind out of him.

Unknown to me was the fact that whenever you touched his skin with enough force, it would turn into steel. So, when my fist collided with the Man of Steel's neck, his skin immediately turned to steel, and all I could feel was my hand shattering.

I let out a shriek of pain as I collapse away from the super-powered villain. My hand hung limply, looking very broken and loose, almost like a bag of coins, but instead, they were bones, my broken, scratch that, shattered bones.

"Kid!" Rai yelled.

"I'm okay. I'm okay! Go!" I yelled at him as the Man of Steel was getting away.

Rai held a look of brief conflict before chasing after the villain. I tap my wristwatch with my uninjured hand, conjuring an image of the Man Cave on the hologram.