Dyslexic

"Ok class, open you tomorrow test booklets in 3, 2, 1." Ms Shapen ordered.
I open my exam to the first page.

Read the following case study and write a 1000 word essay on what you learned. Spelling will also be graded.

Ok. Spelling. Great.

I read the first paragraph twice.

The second 3 times.

But each time I read it, it seemed to make less and less sense. The words seem to float around the page.

I look over to Charlotte, of course, she's scribbling words all over the page. I look towards Jasper, even he is started writing.

I read it over again before starting writing.

In this assay, I wil bee descussing the toppick of scool uniforms...

-time skip-

The bell blared loudly signalling the end of 5th period.

"Ok class, have a great weekend. Henry, I need to speak with you." Ms Shapen ordered.

"Meet, you out in the hall?" I ask Charlotte. She nods before leaving.

Sighing, I gather up my books and head over to Ms Shapens desk.

"Yes?"

"I need to speak to you about your English grade."

"What about it?" I ask, now nervous.

"You failed. Miserably."

My stomach drops about ten feet.

"How? I studied so much for it!" I say.

"As you know, on the test it said spelling would be a factor. Henry, how do you spell topic?"

"T o p p i c k?" I say.

"No Henry, I think you should talk to a doctor about this."

"Why do I need to speak with a doctor?"

"Because I'm worried you have dyslexia. Henry, you're 17 and you still have trouble reading and writing."

"What is dyslexia?"

"It's a learning disability connected with spelling, reading, and writing. Henry it doesn't make you stupid, it just means you'll have a bit more trouble when it comes to connecting your words, writing, reading and directions will be harder to."

"I... I have to go." I say.

I run out of the class room.

"Henry?" Jasper and Charlotte call. But I ignore them. I run out of the school in disbelief.

This can't be happening.

This can not be happening.

I always knew I wasn't the smartest but I never even considered that I had a learning disability.

By the time I stopped running I was up Mount Swellview.

Panting, I slide down into a sitting position against the 'S'.

I run a hand through my hair.

After a little while of thinking it over, I determined that Ms Shapen couldn't be certain that I had dyslexia.

I pulled out my pare phone nonetheless. I zaplook some dyslexia tests.

They ask a bunch of seemingly random questions.

Unfortunately, each test comes back positive. And not positive in a good way. Positive as in they are positively sure I have dyslexia.

Rai.

I should tell Rai. He would want to know.

I flip my watch open.

It rings twice before he picks up.

"What's up Kid?"

"Rai... what do you think about... learning disabilities?"

"Disabilities are just a part of someone. It's not their fault if they have them."

"Do you mean that?"

"Yea, Kid, of course. Why wouldn't I?"

I close my eyes nervously.

"It's just... Rai I think I have dyslexia." I say, shame dripping from my voice.

Silence.

I open my eyes. Rai's gone.

Tears form at my eyes.

He thinks I'm stupid. I cry for another 20 minutes before I here footsteps.

They come closer and closer before they are almost in front of me. My head still in my hands, I shake from the cold or from crying. I'm not quite sure.

The footsteps stop now. I feel a light hand on my shoulder.

I lift my head from my hands to look at the person.

Rai.

A soft look plays across his face.

"Henry? Are you ok?"

I nod stiffly.

"Ya... I'm fine." Damnit. "I'm fine." Now he knows I'm not.

"Henry, you don't have to be ashamed of anything. It's not your fault if you have any sort of disability. So what?Dyslexia, who cares. What does that mean? That your bad at spelling and reading? I'm pretty sure those don't matter anyway." He jokes.

I laugh light heartedly.

"Hen, listen, whether you have a learning disability or not, you are still the same. You are still Kid Danger."

"You mean that?"

"Of course I mean that. Come on. Charlotte and Jasper have been looking for you. They came to the man cave ten minutes before you called. It's good you did. We could pin point your location then." Rai says.

I smile lightly.

Rai helps me up.

We walk down Mount Swellview in a comfortable silence.

Once we make it down the tubes, I'm bombarded with questions on if I'm alright.

I tell them I'm alright, and this time a truly mean it.

I explain what happened in the classroom and what happened on Mount Swellview.

They except me, just as Rai did.

Schwoz ran a complete dyslexia test and the results were the same. I do have dyslexia and that's alright. I have to focus more on what I write and read now but everything is fine.

I have an amazing boss who supports me, and I have two amazing best friends.

And although I found out something that was hard, I know I can get through anything.

Ok, just to be clear, I have dyslexia so I do know what it's like. So please don't come at me saying that's not what dyslexia is like. This is for @SkittleFlute.