Hearts Break

"I'm done! I swear to god Jake! I'm done!" I hear my mom scream.

"You can't just leave me with the kids!" My dad yells back.

"Oh yes I can! I never wanted kids in the first place!" My mother screamed. I felt something inside me shatter. I've always looked up to my mom, and to hear her say that, it broke my heart.

I feel Piper tremble in my arms. Even though she's 14, I forget she's still a kid.

"Siren, you can't leave!" I hear my dad shout.

"I can!" I hear a door swing open, wheels of a suitcase thrumming on the floor.

"Siren!" My dad yelled before a door slammed against the hinges.

Piper burst into tears.

"Relax. It's gonna be ok." I say shakily, I had to be strong for her but really I was as broken up as her. "It's gonna be alright."

- time skip -

I have no idea how long Piper and I were curled up on my couch but I was still hearing my dad yelling into the phone drunkly at my mothers voicemail.

He loved her. She didn't love him.

It was only now that I realized that Piper had fallen asleep. I slowly lift myself off the couch and put a pillow under her head.

I drape my purple blanket over her and quickly change into sweatpants and a tee shirt.

I lay down in bed but I know there is no possible way I'll sleep.

I crack open a can of Pepsi Cola quietly. Piper doesn't hear me.

I pull out a book and start reading. I attempt to block out the slurred shouts of my father but to no avail.

How could my mom do that to me? To my sister? To my dad? I know he's not the sharpest tool in the shed but he is a good guy. Or at least I think so.

I finished my soda within a minute.

I look at Piper, she hadn't taken off any of her makeup so I could see the tear tracks that washed alway the foundation and concealer.

Her eyelashes were big and black from the moisture and her nose was slightly pink.

I couldn't believe what had happened tonight - er - last night, I realized then that it was 1 in the morning. I've always thought my mother was the most stable person in the Hart family.
I was totally wrong.

Siren Hart - or she wasn't a Hart anymore - Siren Kris was my mother. She was always there for me, and now she's just gone.

It didn't seem real to me.

None of this felt real.

I didn't feel real.

-.-.-.-.-.-

I open my puffy eyes to see daylight pouring in from my window.

Piper was still sleeping peacefully on the couch.

I look at my clock.

10 am.

10 am.

I was 2 hours late for work.

I should be stressed about missing work, I know I should, but honestly, I couldn't bring myself to care.

I pull my duvet over my head and shove my head under my pillow.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

I groan, I can't go to work. I don't want to go to work.

I flip up my watch.