The First Shot

Warning: This One Shots is not for the faint of heart and is pretty dark.

"So when Romeo killed himself, he proved that he couldn't live in a world without Juliet. Remember this for your quiz tomorrow." Ms Shapen droned on. "And remember the name of the prince, Escalier, because-'' She started but it was interrupted.

A loud first shot rang out, accompanied by a scream.

Silence.

"Attention! We are going into Active Shooter Protocol!" Principal Lake said. "Evacuate! I repeat evacua-''

But he was cut off with a scream and a deafening shot.

Panic sets like wildfire. People ran out the doors and began hiding, not knowing what to do.

We had trained for this. I remember. Though everything we had been taught, was suddenly gone.

All I could think was, Piper's here. She's here with her grade 9 class. They're here for buddy day.

I had to find her.

"Henry! Come on!" Charlotte yelled.

"Charlotte, Pipers here!" I yell.

Charlotte's expression is torn between begging me to come with her, and understanding.

"Henry, please." She begs.

"I can't. I have to find her." I reply. She nods. "Charlotte you have to go."

I hug her for possibly the last time and run in search of my baby sister.

I pull open classroom doors and tell people to run.

I still hadn't found her.

Bang!

I run faster down the hall. So fast that I never noticed the body on the floor.

I fall to the ground. Blood covers my front.

I look back to the person I'd fallen on. What I saw, would forever stain my mind.

The body of my oldest friend lay in front of me. The body of Jasper Dunlop lay dead with a bullet hole through his head.

"Jasper! No!" I cry. Tears pour down my cheeks as memories of our friendship flood my mind. I hug him for the last time, before remembering I had to find my sister. I close his eyes, and run.

I wipe blood from my face.

Jasper's blood.

I see the janitors closet. I open the door and to my relief, I see Piper along with two other girls.

"Henry?" Piper asks tearily.

"Ya, come on." I say but I hear a way too loud shot.

"You were shot!" Piper cries.

"No, I fell in blood. I'm ok." I say.

"You fell?"

"Ya! Come on!" I whisper. I pull them up and we run down the hall. I open classrooms and tell people to follow as fast as possible.

We reach the doors.

"Ok, everyone out!" I say.

"Where are you going?" Piper cries when she realizes I wasn't following.

"Piper, I need to see if anyone else is trapped."

"No, you need to come with me. I can't lose you Henry." Piper sobs.

"Piper, I'll be ok. Please go outside." I order.

"No, Henry, please. Please."

"I'll be ok Piper. Find Charlotte." I say.