Math Bowl

I had never been very social. I was always the quiet kid in school. I had one friend, Jasper.
If you put me next to my sister, Piper, you'd never know we were related. She was a social butterfly, obsessed with celebrities and the queen bee of Swellview Junior High.

I was incredibly intelligent though. Math was my specialty. I was the smartest student in 12th grade.

I never really had any crushes, despite the fact that I was almost 18.

That was until, first period, advanced math.

I sat where I normally sat. Front row. Nobody ever sat in the front, so I was usually alone.

I was reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban when the teacher entered the classroom, followed by a dark skinned girl with the most beautiful hair I'd ever seen.

"Attention class!" The teacher announced. I look up and place my book in my back pack. "We have a new student with us, this is Charlotte Page. Charlotte, would you like to tell us about yourself?"

Charlotte looked up.

"Uhh, sure, I'm Charlotte, though you already know that, I love fashion and science." Charlotte said awkwardly.

"Lovely! Why don't you sit here next to Henry, right here." Our teacher says.

She nods and takes her stuff to the desk next to me.

I watch her flip open a leather covered, white notebook and pull out a black gel pen. Her blue and gold acrylic nails click against the table.

"Ok, so class, open up to Page 374 and work on questions 4 to 20. Have fun."

"Hi, I'm Henry Hart." I say quietly.

"Hey, nice to meet you." She replies. "Do you want to work together?"

I nod while she moves her desk over to mine. During that hour, I wasn't shy, I wasn't quiet. We laughed and did problems. It was like we'd known each other for years.

I have a good feeling about this.

- time skip -

Charlotte and I were sitting together in math, studying, when our teacher walks over to us.

"Henry, Charlotte, I forgot to mention, I entered you two in the Swellview High Math Bowl. You two will be competing against each other. Good luck! It's tomorrow!"

She walked away. I looked at Charlotte with a bewildered look on my face.

"What just happened?" Charlotte asked.

"I believe we're going to be math enemies tomorrow." I replied.

One thing you should know about me is that I hate to lose and believe me when I say this, I will not hesitate to crush my opponent.

"We're still good right?" She asked.

"Ya of course, but I'm going to go study for this on my own so, good luck." I say. She smiles slightly as I move my desk away from hers. "You'll need it." I whisper so only I could hear.

I'm not losing to someone who's been here all of 10 minutes.

I'll do whatever it takes.

- time skip -

When I woke up on Friday morning, all I thought was, today is the day I crush my enemy, er, Charlotte.

I head over to my dresser and pull out a yellow and black plaid shirt and a pair of jeans.

Once I'm changed, I head downstairs and grab 10 dollars from the breakfast money jar. I'll run to a coffee place to grab breakfast. Probably Tim Hortons. (For people who don't live in Canada, it's a coffee place.)