A Glint of Metal

Warning! This chapter will include gun violence, bleeding out, and resuscitation!

There had been two emergencies. It was as simple as that. Two emergencies. They were happening simultaneously, there was nothing we could do but split up. Rai took the seemingly more dangerous mission while I took the robbery in a convenience store. It should have been cut and dry, but it wasn't. It was half past one in the morning, a time criminals usually thought they wouldn't get caught, but we were on call even as we slept. The criminal that I faced in Dani's Wee 24 Hour Shop was unknown. He wore a thick beige ski mask and wore a baggy, dark green hoodie.

It started out so easily, I just went about usual, I taunted the man a little, told him that he was stupid for trying to get away with petty theft during the night. He seemed like your run of the mill average criminal, someone like Jeff. The overly tired, older cashier looked just as impressed as I was. She was rolling her eyes as though this was a common occurrence for her, to be honest, it very well could be.

"So mate, the way I see it, you've got two options. The first is that you could just admit defeat and let me take you in. You haven't stolen anything, you haven't done anything illegal, you won't be charged, you can walk away from this. Or you can continue, you can fight back, you can try to get away with this, but it will most likely end in your arrest."

"Oh, is that right?" The criminal sneered.

I roll my eyes with a sigh. "Yeah, that's right."

"No, no that's not right, I think you forgot an option."

"Oh yeah?" I laugh, this guy was definitely going to jail.

"The option where you don't make it out and I do." He growls.

"I beg your pardon?"

As quick as the flash, the criminal pulls something out. I only saw a quick glint of metal before a blinding pain in my shoulder and then in my thigh. I collapse to the ground. I hear someone let out a scream which could only be the cashier.

I vaguely see the criminal steal the cash from the register before bolting. My vision was foggy but I could see the cashier moving. I blink and she's right in front of me.

"Holy shit!" Yells the cashier. "Siri! Call 999!"

"Calling 999 in five, four, thr-"

"No! Siri cancel!" I yell.

"Cancelling call to 999."

"What? No, Kid Danger you need to go to the hospital!" Demands the cashier.

"No, it's ok, I'm going to go back to the Man Cave, I'll be ok."

"No offence hun," she sighed, "but you are in no condition to walk. You have a bullet imbedded in your shoulder and one that has sliced through your thigh. Literally! I can see the bullet on my floor!"

"I know, I know." I pant, each breath coming in staggering. "But I need to get back to get back to the Man Cave, they can help." I push myself up, biting back a scream, unfortunately though, it came out as a strangled groan.

"You need help!" The cashier exclaims. I finally push myself up on my feet only to damn near topple over. I hastily grab onto the woman's, who I can now see has a name tag with the name Jenny, arm to steady myself. "Whoah! Easy now! Honey, please let me take you somewhere, even if it's within one block of your Man Cave!"

"You have to know I can't do that." I sigh, though I wish I could. I could pass out in her vehicle and she could do whatever she pleased with me. Even though the alternative was driving home, I'd convinced Rai to get a second Man Van, which I just call the van, so I'd have a way back in the event of multiple emergencies.