Drowning

Rai and I sprint onto the Jandi bridge.

Police cars and barricades block either side of the bridge.

"We're here!" Rai announces.

"Oh thank heavens!" A policeman says.

"There's a mad man, that we've identified as Paris Wood,  threatening to throw a woman named Angelina Lunah off the bridge. We've tried talking him down but he won't listen." A policewoman explains.

"So you need our help." I supply.

The two cops nod.

"Ok. Don't worry, we can handle this." Rai says confidently.

The cops let us through.

When we get out to the bridge, I see a bald, fair skinned man holding a petite Hispanic girl by the wrists.

"Woah! Sir, I think you should let the girl go." Rai says childishly.

"No! She deserves death!" Wood shouted.

Angelina whimpers and shakes.

"Wow, right to the point." I mutter. "Sir, why does she deserve death?"

"She broke my heart! So now I'm gonna break hers." He yells, lifting the struggling girl into the air.

"No! No sir, you don't want to do that. You'll find someone else. It'll be ok." Rai says calmly.

"You don't know that!" Wood screams.

"You're right, we don't, but if you do this, you'll never get the chance to find happiness." I say.

He looks at me with crazy eyes, but they seem to be a little less crazy than before.

"You can't make me!" Wood states.

"You're right, we can't make you. If we go to attack you, you'll throw her over the bridge. We can only talk to you and hope for the best." I say with a solum tone.

"I'll never know love! She was my one true love!" Wood said with a crazed glint back in his eyes.

He lifts Angelina higher into the air, and even before I could shout, he flung her over the side.

I couldn't even think.

"Kid!" Rai yells at me. "Get the girl!"

I hurl myself over the side. My diving form hits the water below me.

Freezing water surged around me.

I push forward, escaping from my shock and search for the girl.

"Angelina Lunah!" I call, head above the water.

No answer.

"Angelina!" I scream.

I dive back under and force my eyes open.

The water stings my eyes ferociously and relentlessly but I keep him open.

I strain to see through the water but I see Angelina's struggling form, trying desperately to get to the surface.