Happier

Italics are memories. Right italic is the song.

Walking down 29th and Park, saw you in another's arms. Only a month we've been apart, you look happier.

As I walked down the road, I couldn't shake the feeling of longing for my best friend, but she's with someone. Some musician named Jack Swagger who wasn't really all that cool.

Saw you walk inside a bar, he said something to make you laugh. I saw that both your smiles were twice as wide as ours. Yeah you look happier, you do.

I had asked her to go with me to get coffee after class but she had refused. She had a date with Jack at some bar downtown.

"Why are you always out with Jack?" I asked her.

"What do you mean?" She asked confusedly.

"You are always out with your boyfriend." I say, pulling her away from the stream of university students leaving the lecture Charlotte and I had just attended.

"I'm at work with you guys all the time."

"But we're working then. It's not the same. I'm always on missions and in danger." I whisper. "But whenever Jasper and I try to get you to have fun with us, you are with your dumb boyfriend."

"Jack isn't dumb Henry! If you're so jealous why are you my friend?"

That hurt. I see her look away from me with sad eyes, I know I hurt her feelings.

Ain't nobody hurt you like I hurt you, but ain't
nobody love you like I do. I promise that I will not take it personal, baby, if you're moving on with someone new.

Now as I head down the road, I could see her and Jack sitting in the bar, laughing and so full of love. She seemed to have forgotten all about our fight. I couldn't even look at them without feeling like the worst person alive, but her smile seemed to warm my heart.

Cause baby you look happier, you do. My friends told me one day I'll feel it too. But until then I'll smile and hide the truth, but I know I was happier with you.

- time skip -

I sat in my room, eyes puff from crying. I held a near empty beer in my hand. I stared at the photo of Charlotte, Jasper, Piper and I, we had gone to the carnival down by the docs last summer.

Sat in the corner of a room. Everything's reminding me of you. Nursing an empty bottle and telling myself you're happier. Aren't you?

I open up my text to Charlotte. The last text was last week when we had our fight.

Charlotte: Henry, you said what you said.

Henry: Charls, I didn't mean it. I swear. Jack is a great guy.

Charlotte: Henry, I know you don't mean that. You hate him and I don't know why! He never did anything to you.

Henry: It's not that he did anything to me, I just don't like him.

Charlotte: But why?

Henry: I don't know.

And we left it at that.

Cause ain't nobody hurt you like I hurt you, but ain't nobody need you like I do. I know that there are others that deserve you, but my darling I am still in love with you.

I've fought with her over her dumb, celebrity because I'm lying, I do know why I hate him. I love her with all my heart and she's with someone else. But I guess she's happy. I hope she's happy.

But I guess that you look happier, you do. My friends told me someday I'll feel it too. I could try to smile and hide the truth, but I know I was happier, with you.

Baby you look happier, you do. I knew someday you'd fall for someone new. But if he breaks your heart, like lovers do, just know that I'll be waiting here for you.

Henry: Charlotte, I'm in love with you.

Charlotte: Henry, I'm with Jack.

Henry: I know.

This is sad, in a heartbreaking way, and very short. Hope you liked it.