System Defect

There were only four times I could think of where my illness came into play at work. Here are all four.

-.-.-.-.-

The first thing I noticed when I woke up was that I was on the floor. Which is odd for two reasons, the first being that I usually only sit on the floor, not lie on it. Second, I distinctly remember being stood up talking to Charlotte.

The second thing I notice is that there is a balled up hoodie under my head and someone has a light grip on my shoulder.

It doesn't make sense.

"Kid?" Someone says.

I recognise the voice and I know I should be able to put a name to it, but there's a distinct fog in my brain making the task unreasonably difficult.

"I think he's coming to." Another voice says, somewhere to the left of me, though I make no effort to see who it is. I slowly realise that I hadn't opened my eyes yet. I crack them open, feeling quite literally drained. The lights of the Man Cave greet me.

"Hey kid." There's the first voice again.

I attempt to roll onto my back but find out that the loose hands that are holding me were keeping me in place.

"Hey, hey, don't move just yet ok? Can you open your eyes a bit more?" Someone else asks, they have a bit more of an accent than the other two.

I blink sluggishly, my vision coming into focus. My eyelids felt heavy, but eventually I make sense of the people in front, to the side and behind me. Rai, Charlotte, Jasper, and Schwoz. In the back of my mind I wondered where Piper was but I didn't dwell on it.

"Hmm?" I hum in confusion. "S'appened?"

Rai rubs my shoulder soothingly. "Are you back with us?"

I blink a few more times, eyes roaming uselessly. My gaze scans across Charlotte who's closest to my left, and Jasper who's next to her. Then to Rai who's on my right, then to Schwoz who's by my head as if he was steadying it.

I felt sluggish and confused, like I'd just woken up from a hundred year nap.

"Hey, no, stay with me," Charlotte says, "don't fall asleep."

I didn't even realise I'd closed my eyes. I ran my tongue lamely across my gums, there's something acidic in my mouth.

I was exhausted. The pull of sleep was quite tempting.

"Henry." Schwoz says, his voice firm but it held an undeniable gentleness to it. "Can you tell us what month it is?"

I had to think about that. I scrambled around in my mind, trying to come up with an accurate answer. "Mm?" Was all I could make out. I attempted to turn on my back again but the restraints were still there.

Behind my closed eyes, Schwoz and Charlotte gave a worried look, like they were in on something no one else was.

"What about where we are?" Schwoz tried.

That one is easier. "Man C've," I answer, "n'floor." I add just for effect.

"And how are you feeling?" Schwoz asked.

I considered the question for a moment. I'd felt fine, honestly, up until that question that is. But now that I was asked to pay attention to my body, everything seemed to hit. The ache in my head seemed to come full force.

"Head hurts." I manage to croak out.

"Anything else?" Jasper encourages gently.

I smack my lips, running my tongue over my gums again. The taste of bile coats my teeth and tongue. "Stomach?" I add. I looked over at Schwoz's blurred image, trying to focus past the odd halos of light that dance across him. And then, all at once, it clicks. "Did I have a s'zure?"