Who You Are

A brief chapter of really rather short stories on Henry, Piper, Charlotte and Jasper embracing who they are. Aka they're all LGBTQ+ and you can't change my mind. Also, I drew inspiration from tiktok and the show Sex Education, which I highly recommend you watch, it's bloody hilarious. Plus, I just really love British television considering I'm from London.

Henry

I'm a boy kind of like a dandelions are weeds. It's technically true, but not quite right.

I'm a dandelion, but a dandelion in the way that children see them, as little drops of sunlight bursting from the earth. When I was little, my mother would sit with me outside while I ran around collecting as many dandelions as my grubby little hands could hold.

My mother would teach me how to make flower crowns out of them and I'd be the prince of the garden.

I never understood why Charlotte and Jasper would tell me that I had to pick something different when I would say that dandelions were my favourite flowers. Eventually I learned to say roses, or lilies, or sunflowers instead, but it was never quite right. Secretly, those defiant little flowers that grow wherever they choose, that grow for themselves rather than the will of a gardener, will always hold a special place in my heart. They would burst through the cracks in the sidewalk and ravage gardens like a sea of gold.

That's all to say that I guess my issue is less in being a man, and more in the way that society perceives them. We have this mould for what a man is or isn't, and I don't feel like I quite fit into it. I feel man-adjacent: Man enough to embrace my masculinity, but not enough for the word to feel anything but foreign when I would use the word to describe myself.

He/They feels like a recognition of the fact that I don't quite fit into one category or another. I'm not a flower or a weed. And frankly, I don't really care for labels- a dandelion grows regardless of what you call it.

-.-.-.-.-

Piper

All my childhood I heard that I was a princess destined to marry a prince. I never really understood that. First off, I was clearly the queen of the house and the world. Second, boys were gross and dumb. I didn't want to marry a boy! They suck!

But the adults would all laugh. Aunt Muriel would laugh and tell me she thought the same thing, she's on her third husband now. My Aunt Hollie would tell me that they seem gross now but I'll change my mind when I'm a teenager. My mother told me that I would have the perfect life like Barbie and Ken.

But now, even when I'm fifteen years old, having even just one husband seemed terrifying, let alone being on your third. Men still seem to gross me out and none of them are appealing. And thinking of the 'perfect' life like Barbie and Ken just didn't seem right.

But what if it's not Ken but Barbie? Should I have to say sorry for that? I don't think so. I can love who I want to. I told my family, some said I wasn't supposed to. But if I love not Ken but Barbie, I shouldn't have to say sorry.

And in my life, in my future, I don't see a man waiting for me down the aisle. I see my beautiful bride walking beside me. And I think that's alright.

Yeah, that's alright.

-.-.-.-.-

Charlotte

Women are like honey, sweet and soothing. Men are like cedar, splendid and durable. Genderqueer people are like clouds, soft and new.

I always loved reading. I enjoyed learning about new things and facts. I thought it was cool. What I loved the most though were romance novels. Not cringey ones but nice ones. I liked reading about women getting swooped up in a fairytale romance with a handsome stranger.