S3:C8; Building Relationships

I hope you enjoyyyy!!!

••••••••

"Are you free to talk after class?"

The question immediately sent me into a small panic, but I nodded and calmed myself down, remembering that Professor Davis wasn't a guaranteed threat, but just a potential psychopath that may or may not have been scheming with Cooper behind my back.

"Sure. What about?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

"Cooper."

"Okay," I said with a short sigh. "Is it just about him in general or more about his past?"

My professor didn't say anything, but he stared at me with an unnameable something in his eyes. After studying his facial features for a moment, I chalked up that he had been looking at me with concern in his gaze... But his worry seemed masked by a dim nonchalant expression...?

"I think we should just wait until after class. I don't want to distract you from learning," he said quietly, making my stomach move uncomfortably.

With that, he walked away from my desk, and I could've sworn I'd seen a dark grey cloud over his head.

"Professor!" I called rather loudly, standing from my seat as my worked up nerves coerced me to. He'd quickly turned to face me and I couldn't help myself as I frowned at him. "I'd like to talk now..." I muttered, not wanting to be loud again.

Low murmurs had escaped my classmates' mouths; some wondering if the professor and I were going through a rough patch in our relationship, others wondering if I was cheated on by our professor, and some were just questioning what was going on and who I was.

"But—"

"Now, please," I said sternly, walking over to his desk. He watched me with hard, almost stunned eyes as I stepped past him and walked into his private lounge/office area, and he cleared his throat before telling the class that he'd return shortly and following after me.

"Look, Cameron, I know that you and I have a different—closer relationship than I do with my other students but you shouldn't make any more scenes like that... I mean, walking into my personal office—"

"I won't do it anymore," I said quickly. "But tell me, why are you acting so weird today? You keep looking at me with sorrow or-or worry in your eyes but the rest of your face is blank. I know we aren't that close but you're obviously hiding something from me and I want you to stop. Just be blunt. What is it?"

"I really think Giorgi should hear this too. That's why I wanted to wait until after class to talk," my professor said calmly. I shook and dropped my head, sighing: "That's not what I asked, Professor. Please just be upfront. Why are you concerned? What are you hiding from me?"

My teacher slipped his fingers behind his glasses and rubbed his eyes for a short while, groaning before he removed his spectacles altogether and massaged his entire face.

"Cooper has been building relationships with some of the guards in the prison he's being locked up at since his second year of being there. He's flirting, joking, and toying with them, and he thinks that the prison is going to release him earlier than his set date due to his 'good behavior.' He thinks he could be released as soon as next month."