Chapter 33

Hyunjin probably resembled a fish. A red one. What was that called? Ah yes; a red guppy. Hyunjin was a guppy.

"What do you mean?" he asked. Like really, what could that clear question mean?

"I asked how long have you been dating my brother? Because none of you told me but it's quite obvious. Why didn't you tell me? Do you think I can't be trusted?" she sounded kind of hurt at the end. He guessed that he would be too if he thought someone was keeping things from him but he was also an adult and understood that not everyone was comfortable or up to sharing personal matter.

"Of course we trust you. We didn't tell you because there is simply nothing to tell. Me and your brother are not dating." he explained, while thinking 'sort of' in his head. He for sure was not going to explain that to an eight year old, even a very open minded one.

"Don't lie. I saw you kissing! On the lips!" she huffed.

She had? When? Asking would be admitting it though. They had been careful...not. They did kiss in the kitchen a couple of times, and in the corridor... She seemed to have her mind set already.

"Uhm well. Sometimes adults kiss. On the lips. But they're not dating and that's how it is with your brother and me. We do it...for comfort. Like a hug with lips" What the hell was that explanation? Hyunjin was shocked at himself but he just kept on going.

"But if it's comfort and you're already kissing, why are you not dating?" She asked perplexed.

"I...don't know how to answer that. I guess, we both must like each other AND want to date and commit to it because dating takes time and we may not have it." He tried to explain 'And of course I must tell him I like him...which isn't happening' he thought.

"So you don't like my brother?" she asked in disbelief.

"What? Where did I say that? I like him, like a lot lot" he said while nodding, just to show how much a lot he meant.

She smiled "So you want to date him? Now all you need to do is commit time and make an effort" she too nodded since it was that simple in her mind.

"Uhm." Had he just told her he liked her brother? Like a lot lot? He needed a sinkhole right now. Where was bad geology when you needed it? In light of there not being one, he continued speaking "Well you see, in relationships, you need everyone in it to want to commit time and energy. It's not just me."

"My brother literally gave you a home and is always visiting you when busy. Sometimes he looks like a panda with dark circles but he tries to hide them just to see you. Well us, but pretty sure he hides the dark circles for you. Mum and Dad would fuss but then they will give him his space not wanting to stress him more. I'm sure he wants to commit and then you can date!" she explained enthusiastically.

Something in Hyunjin just clicked. But he wasn't sure what.

Perplexed he tried to move the conversation elsewhere. "This is something we need to discuss between us but thank you for your encouragement. Please don't tell your brother OR parents about this conversation. Let's keep it a secret ok?" he had learned how sneaky the child could be just now. He wasn't going to make Seungmin's same mistake.

"Fine. I pinky promise" she said seriously and true to her words, held up a pinky to be bound in a promise. Hyunjin participated in the oath. Then checked she wasn't crossing her fingers behind her back.

"So, what are your plans from today and tomorrow?" he said lamely.

"Well today I will eat the delicious food you'll cook and tomorrow I have to be on my best behaviour because it's parents day...you do remember right? You and Seungminnie promised to come. I think omma and appa are too busy but they did promise me ice cream after work"