Snake Wave

Wu Xie

After their hot exchange, Wu Xie fall asleep on Xiaoge's warm arms, giving in to exhaustion. However, after a few hours of peacefully sleep, Wu Xie was awaken by Xiaoge. He had shaken him a few times to get his attention, but when Wu Xie open his eyes there was only darkness. He could not see anything even when he could feel Xiaoge touch on him.

"Xiaoge? Why is so dark here? Did the lamp broke?" Wu Xie asked as he rubbed his still itching eyes.

"No, the light should be still on, we are temporally blind." Xiaoge told him and Wu Xie instantly panic.

"What?! What do you mean temporarily blind? You can't see either?" Wu Xie asked as he try to move, but Xiaoge hold him to keep him in the bed.

"I can see a bit but it's too blurry. The effect of the poisonous gas outside will wear off soon, put this on." Xiaoge said as he offer Wu Xie something that turn out to be a mask, as he touched it and turn it on his hands.

"Gas? You mean that's why my eyes had been itching for so long?" Wu Xie asked.

"Yes, put it on and you will recover your sight soon." Xiaoge said as he too put one mask he had found for himself.

Outside, the land was cover with a white mist that they had inhaled while they sleep. Qiling had wake up feeling weird and found out that he could barely see inside the tent and got out of the bed, leaving Wu Xie's side to have a look at the outside, which was all tinted with mist, then he look for a pair of masks that should be on their backpacks, found them and wake up Wu Xie, so he will not be alarmed if he wake up on his own and find himself blind.

"I can barely breath with this on... what's going on outside?" Wu Xie asked, but there was no need for Xiaoge to respond, because  Wu Xie could hear weird sounds coming from the other side of the door, the sound of countless snakes lurking around their camp.

"They are here." Xiaoge said to him and Wu Xie held Xiaoge's hand.

"We should be safe for now... as long as there is no fire, they will not know we are inside." Wu Xie whisper.

"They may not know our exact location... but they were here before..." Xiaoge hushed back.

"So they will still be coming for the tents." Wu Xie concluded.

"Yes." Xiaoge confirmed.

"Damn... will this hold that many snakes?" Wu Xie asked as he hear that creepy hiss they make as they slither around the camp.

"As long as they come from the ground or the sides..." Xiaoge told him. So far, they could hear them bouncing on the tent walls, but they were made with reinforced materials that were strong enough to hold them off. However, as time passed and the snakes could not get in, things begin to change.

Suddenly, the sound of the snakes no longer came from the ground, but for up the trees surrounding their camp and especially from those that had branches over the tents. Then, both of them could see and hear them fall over the top of the tent, making it weight more.

"Sneaky vipers... they will make the tent collapse if they gather in big numbers over it." Wu Xie said angrily, but Xiaoge simply held Wu Xie and force him to lay down with him in the bed.

"Xiaoge..."

"If the tent collapse, this is our best option. Calm down and just focus on me... don't look up." Xiaoge suggested as he knew that Wu Xie was in panic, his breathing been the indication he was too agitated. He needed something to distract him from the snakes falling and moving above their heads.