Unexpected Dates

Wu Xie

The next morning they asked Mr. Gui about the photo that Xiaoge had saved from the burning inferno of his old house and after the man had a look at it, he had said it was a man called Panma.

"This photo is an old one, just like the one you pointed at before. Panma was the best hunter at that time and was the man my father recommend to the woman to be her guide, because no one else knew the mountains better than him." Mr. Gui said.

"And is this Panma man still alive?" Pangzi aske, while internally praying the old man may still be around for all their sakes.

"Ah, yeah... he is still quite healthy." Mr. Gui said happily.

"Then... can we talk with him? You see, we are truly intrigued by the expedition that you mention was done in the mountains. If he was the guide, then that's even better. We will pay him well to take us to the place the expedition was done. Solving an old riddle is so thrilling... don't you think?" Pangzi asked the man, who laughed a bit uncomfortably.

"I guess... he lives not too far from here, so I can take you to his house if you are truly interested." Mr. Gui offer and Pangzi clapped his hand in joy.

"Sure, sure... oh, this lovely town is getting more interesting by the minute... good thing will come this way with just the right push... Mr. Gui, you had such a bright future ahead of you... come on, please lead the way..." Pangzi said as he smiled charmingly at the old man, which gladly guide them the short distance to Panma house.

Wu Xie felt a little bad for tricking the man to such extent, but if they didn't do so, how else could they find about what happen in Banai and the expedition that probably trigger all the things that happen in the Parcel Islands and everything else connected with that event.

They came into the yard of a house where a young man was working and after Mr. Gui had asked about Panma whereabouts, the young man had told them that his father had go into the mountains for hunting and had not return yet.

"That's not uncommon... hunters takes a few days while searching for preys. Hunt requires time, you see... he will probably be back very soon." Mr. Gui said hopefully and the young man looked at them curiously.

"Uncle Gui... who are these men?" He asked.

"Oh, they are big names in the cities. They came here to see if our town can become a tourist spot." The old man said as their introduction and Wu Xie repressed the desire to face palm himself, while Xioage sighed. Pangzi was too good at lying.

Thus they remained quiet as Mr. Gui talked some more, until a car stopped in front of the house and a woman got out to talk with Panma's son, also asking for the whereabouts of his father.

"Pangzi... don't you think that woman looks familiar?" Wu Xie asked Pangzi.

"Her clothing style and attitude, it matched of that of Ah Ning..." Pangzi said and Xioage looked at Wu Xie.

He had been told of her story before and the way she die... and Xioage still had the feeling she was important for Wu Xie in the past, although not at the level of a lover... but perhaps an old interest. Wu Xie was visible sad and affected when he tell him about her death.

However, Wu Xie looked fine right now, although a bit more serious, perhaps trying to push away the bad memories her name bring into his mind. Luckily, the woman leave shortly after she came and it was time for them to keep up the charade.

After Pangzi make deeper inquires with Panma's son, they found out that the woman was looking for Panma for the treasure he apparently had on his possession, which was another piece of metal, like the one they already had. Of course, that only make them want to open the piece even more fervently and after Pangzi failed several times with common ways, he decided to take some extreme measures.