On The Way Back

For my beloved H, for always be the blinding light that will shine on any darkness.

Hei Xiazi

They manage to came out of the tunnels pretty much in the same way they came in, while climbing up the rope they had left in the entrance of the sewer that leaded to the opening to the outside they had made. They travel in search of any sings of Xie Lian Huan could had leave behind, but found nothing other than the marks they had left to themselves before coming down to the sewers.

"Don't worry, I'm sure he is somewhere safe. We just should keep up and leave this hell behind while we still can." Xiazi said as he try to reassured both Xiao Hua and Pan Zi, so they could keep up walking back to civilization until it was time to rest.

They were all eager to go back in one piece, so they make haste through the forest and only rested when it was necessary, until night came. Xiazi could keep ongoing, giving the fact that he could see perfectly fine in the darkness and far better than in the day, but his companions had only normal night vision and it will be harder for them to keep up the pace in the darkens.

So at the end, they make camp on the woods, quite far from the hellish den of snakes and kindle a campfire to keep them warm and safe during the cold night. Pan Zi had insisted on a watch, so Xiao Hua decided to have some rest close to the tree Xiazi had rested his back, while Mop simply collapsed on the ground and fall asleep instantly.

Of course, unlike Mop or his Master Hua, Xiazi was not going to fall asleep anytime soon, because he also agree that they should keep vigilance for more snakes, so to keep himself awake, he decided to make something special for the young man sleeping by his side. It was not like he could stare at Xiao Hua through the whole night, even if he was tempted to do so, because he was sure that his staring will eventually wake him up. He was a bit sensitive in that aspect, perhaps thanks to his way of life, when he was forced to grow up before his time to take charge of his falling family.

Thus, he took a piece of wood he had collected when looking for something to make a campfire and started to shape it in the form of a long curved knife. It was not made for real defense purpose, but to give his Master Hua something to hold and remember for when he needed to be away to do his jobs, because there was no way he will let Xiao Hua feed him, even if they end up having a more serious relationship as time goes by.

At that thought, Xiazi smiled. He could definitely imagine a life by the Master of the Xie family, even if was never going to be an official one. He was not the kind of man to care for marriage in the first place, giving the fact that his life was always surrounded by danger and every job he take could be his last. So whatever Xiao Hua was willing to give him was just fine.

He keep up his work for most of the night and told Pan Zi to have some rest, as he was going to relieve him in his watch and he gladly accepted the offer, laying down on the ground and falling asleep by Mop, almost instantly. Half an hour lather thought, Xiao Hua stirred on his sleep and moved his hand to stop Xiazi from keep working on his gift, by placing it on his leg.

"Xiazi... please have some sleep." Xiao Hua whisper without opening his eyes.

"Someone has to watch over you." Xiazi whisper back.

"If there were any snakes close by,  we should had already know it. They are not exactly shy..."

"Yeah, but they are definitely sneaky..."

"Humor me this once."

"I had humor you before, remember? Safety is not a joke."

"I know, but I'm totally sure nothing will disturb us tonight. We are already halfway out of this basin and out of their territory."