Doubts

Wu Xie

The next morning, Wu Xie and Wang Meng headed out quite early and rented a car, so it will be faster to reach the local Public Archive and as soon as they were there, Wu Xie make the inquires for the information he hoped to find, but sadly, the employee didn't seem to have much interest in help him, but in played the same damn game Wang Meng loved instead.

Wu Xie glanced at Wang Meng in disapproval as he asked for the search he had in mind, but it resulted in nothing at all, which was disappointing, but not entirely unexpected. However, he was not with no other way to find what he was looking for, he also had other options he could explore and one, being the Archeological Institute that had been relocated for the last time in 1976, from where they could gather some information on the members of the expedition.

For that they will need to travel to the Changsha University and thus that was their next destination after the previous fiasco. Of course, the old campus had a guard at the entrance, but Wu Xie was creative enough to bypass him and go search for the next clue without problems.

He went to the building in where the old archives were storage and went down the stairs to the older record room that looked completely abandon with tons of dust already accumulated on the walls and door. This time the door had a chain, but it looked like someone had already tempered with it, who knows when. However, there was a seal that looked intact, but old.

"This should be it..." Wu Xie said.

"I think we can enter, the chain is broken."

"The chain may not be a problem, but this has a seal, so let's not be hasty and see if we can remove the seal without breaking it first." Wu Xie continue, but as he was going to try his luck on the seal he heard steps coming from the stair and he asked Wang Meng to take out his camera, to use it as an excuse to be there without permission.

"Hey, why haven't you left, already?" The guard asked as he came to their view and Wu Xie signal for Wang Meng to take the pictures of his, which was signaling the paper seal on the door, so he could study it later.

Wang Meng took a few of them and as the guard keep asking them questions, Wu Xie grab him and took a picture with him as so not to get him too suspicious of them. At the end, Wu Xie signed the logbook that the guard have with two fakes names and they left back to his uncle house.

Once there, they look at the pictures they have taken and as Wu Xie stared at the screen to have a better look at what was written on it, and he noticed the striking resemblance of the characters written on the seal to the ones he wrote on a daily basic either on his diaries or anything else he needed at a certain moment.

"Boss, you can't really expect to find data from 1990 there." Wang Meng interrupted his staring at the picture of the seal.

"Never mind that... doesn't this font looks familiar to you?" Wu Xie asked his employee, who looked over his shoulder to see the picture his Boss had enlarged.

"Yes... isn't it the Shuo Jin font?" Wang Meng asked as he looked down.

"Nothing else familiar with it?" Wu Xie asked again.

"Hum... I have seen those characters before... but can't pinpoint of where right now." Wang Meng answer and Wu Xie asked for him to bring ink and paper to him.

Shortly after, Wu Xie copy the exact text of the seal on a vertical paper and look at it once it was done, once again feeling he was looking at the same thing, even if he had not written the characters on the seal he didn't even knew existed. This time, even Wang Meng notice from where the characters looked so familiar.