Xiao Man Treasure, Xiao Hua's Hunt

Wu Xie

Once it was dark enough, Wu Xie head out with Wang Meng and parked their rental car away from the university campus, just to be sure unwanted persons will not spot them. The rest of the way, they walked it in silence while alert of any movement coming from either students or the guard and when saw the right chance; they enter the campus and head back to where they had been hours before.

Luckily for them, that night was quite bright, almost full moon, so they didn't need a flashlight to illuminate their way as they went down the stairs and risk themselves to be caught if they use one closer to the small glass window. Once in front of the door, Wu Xie carefully removed the seal, after studying it for a few seconds and open the door.

Inside there were a few rows of shelves with lots of records on each of them, from the many years of storing. Wang Meng ask him from which year he should look for and he answer, then they divided to have better chances of finding the right one.

Wu Xie walked around the shelves and only read the years that was exposed to be read and keep up his search for what looked like hours. At the back of the room, it was darker, se he was forced to use a flashlight to see the tags on the archive boxes, but the room was below enough not to be seen that easily from the outside. However, as much as Wu Xie and Wang Meng searched, there was nothing related to the year 1976.

"Boss... there is nothing here, we should stop looking." Wang Meng said, but Wu Xie refused to give up that easily and ignore the other man to inspect the boxes over a long table.

"That is not good for your health Boss... all those are too moldy, the whole room is moldy to that matter. This place had been sealed away probably for at least a decade." Wang Meng warned Wu Xie.

"It's normal for a sealed room, especially in a standalone building, where is more humid. Mildew is to be expected to be everywhere..." Wu Xie dismissed, but as Wang Meng looked around, as his box keep searching, he found something that actually looked out of place in such a room.

"Boss... if mildew is expected to be everywhere, then why isn't on that huge painting... it doesn't had dust either for that matter..." Wang Meng told his Boss as he

As he keep looking he finally found the box he was looking for and grab it.

"I found it!" He told Wang Meng and his assistant came to his side in a rush to see what was inside, but when Wu Xie open it, he was once again disappointed to find it was just the piece of paper he had signed with fake names in the morning.

"Boss, maybe we need to have a talk with that guard..."

"No, it will not lead to anything. The point has been made clear, someone know that we are on the trail, but don't want us to find anything. Maybe that voice you hear on my uncle's house was not imagine after all and we have been tagged."

"Then, is it over?"

"Not yet... there must be something else here that we can use, otherwise, why my uncle wanted me to come to this place and for what the door was cover?" Wu Xie asked more to himself than to Wang Meng.

"Oh, right... so what are we going to look for now?"

"To be honest, I don't know... it could be a book, a note, a lose paper somewhere... let me get my bearings for a second." Wu Xie said as he enter a ring of piled books, similar to the ones he had made back on his uncle's study.

Wu Xie sat on a pile and turn on the lamp that was over another pile of books and took one of the closer to him to have a look at it.

"Books... notes..." Wu Xie whisper as he looked around him.