The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Wu Xie

In the very moment the door closed and they enter the dark tunnel ahead of them, Zhang Qiling had a bad feeling about it. He could not really tell why he felt that way, but he was sure that there was something wrong with that empty passage they had endlessly follow.

He had taken special attention to the walls and floor as they walked into the tunnel, looking for any kind of trap, trigger or any other indication that there could be another door hidden in the stone, but even if they had walked around a mile inside that tunnel, nothing seems to change.

"This is odd... before, we were lead to natural cave chambers, but this tunnel... it's like a tomb itself." Pangzi voiced as he illuminate the endless tunnel right and left.

"It's strange indeed. Shouldn't we be getting some kind of trap by now?" Wu Xie asked back.

"What do you think, Zhang Qiling? You are the one who knows this place best." Fairy Huo asked in turn, now more than glad that she had send her granddaughter away from that place. If it end up been their graveyard, then at least the Huo's future was secured in Xiu Xiu's hands, even if she may struggle to become the head, knowing that it will not be as simple as just saying it was her wish.

"Good luck with that, old woman, he doesn't remember anything." Pangzi teased.

"Insolent!" Fairy Huo shouted.

"Pangzi!" Wu Xie retorted.

"She is not a polite granny, why should I show any respect to her? Let's not forget that she try to kill you after all." Pangzi counter back.

"You were been disrespectful to Xiaoge! It's not his fault he can't remember his past!" Wu Xie snapped.

"Ah, that... yeah, my bad, Xiaoge, I tend to forget about your Pingxie priorities." Pangzi mocked.

"Idiot, is this even the time to be joking around?" Wu Xie asked seriously.

"Well, it's not like we have anything else to do. This tunnel have no end." Pangzi added as he stared ahead.

"Mr. Pangzi... are we really heading in the right direction? My compass is kind of dead..." One of Fairy Huo mention as he showed the small thing.

"How should I know? Ask Cox Hendry's men, they were mapping the mountain." Pangzi lost it.

"Ah, no, no, no! We didn't go this far... so, it's an uncharted territory for us too." A man reply hastily.

"It's not like they were going to find the Zhang's secrets that easily. Cox Hendry is only fooling himself if he really think that." Fairy Huo commented, making Hendry's men mad.

"Told you she was impolite..." Pangzi whisper to the men.

"Forget about that... Xiaoge... do you have any impression on this tunnel? I know you still don't remember, but you have your instincts that are usually very sharp." Wu Xie try another approach.

"It feels wrong." Xiaoge finally admitted, as he could not take away that feeling, even if he had try his best to look for some other explanation. Wu Xie stop on his track to look at him with both worry and anxiousness. A feeling he was beginning to experience himself.

"Wrong how? Is this some kind of trap?" Wu Xie asked immediately.

"Not a trap... but also not the right path either." Xiaoge concluded as he give it some thought.

"So... Hei Xiazi and Master Hua got the last one wrong?" Pangzi asked the question that everyone was thinking at that moment.

"It's possible." Xiaoge admitted.