102. The Wake

ROZIE's POV

Dressed in a cross between a classic and slim fit black two-piece suit, a white inner, and a black tie to match, he gazed at me like I was a diamond he was in search of for a lifetime. The typical scene you see in films where the rest of the world seemed to zone out, leaving just you and the person before you alone, that's exactly what's happening right now. It's either there's something wrong with the lights in this narrow hallway or my imagination is just simply playing tricks on me for fun. But true or not, as he got nearer and nearer, he seemed to get even more illuminated while the rest of the background got dimmer by the second. The sound of each step he took echoed in my ears, making my insides churn at the thought of the distance between us getting shorter and shorter.

Seeming to lose my natural instinct to breathe, I continuously inhaled small, frequent shallow breaths like someone experiencing an asthma attack. I felt like fainting and I'm quite unsure if this was still brought about by the flowers surrounding us. I was weakened in the knees by his presence compelling me to fall before him as he freely consumes me whole. With the aura emanating from him, it's as if I was like a genie in an ancient lamp, finding the master that would finally set me free.

However, when he took the last step, completely making both of us see each other face to face, my perception suddenly changed. He made it appear like it was the other way around; like he was the lucky one for finding someone like me, a diamond in the rough.

Everything at this very moment was too much for my head to process. I couldn't even recall what I was supposed to do in the first place. All I know is, he had his eyes locked in mine, and I am trapped in his universe, willingly and unwillingly.

 All I know is, he had his eyes locked in mine, and I am trapped in his universe, willingly and unwillingly

The fraction of a minute seemed to last for light-years. This is madness. Why can't I look away? The disappointment in myself grew more intense as I stayed mesmerized by him. It just won't budge. How can this be possible?

"I've been looking all over for you." The sound of his voice sent chills down my spine. It took me a couple of seconds to blink myself back to reality, where the entire hallway was well-lit and the nearby chattering of people could be heard in the background.

I can't believe he was the same person I spent a 3-hour train ride with. He transformed into this supermodel-like he was pulled straight from the 100's Most Eligible Bachelors magazine.

"Oh," was the first thing I could utter when I finally remembered how to breathe out. My chest painfully complained of being overworked as it released the great amount of air I kept in as much as I could.

"It takes me a while to get ready." Lie. "They really have nice bathrooms here," I added, finally catching my tongue.

He sweetly smiled. "I couldn't find you anywhere. I really thought, I thought you left." Guilt pierced through me like a knife. "But you're here now. I'm so relieved." He smiled again, melting me fast like wax from a lighted candle.