87. Embrace

The ocean represents the subconscious, the unknown parts of the mind. The dark, hidden depths of the ocean stand for the unknown, unexplored thoughts, emotions, feelings, that are not visible on the surface.  

_________________________________________________________

ROZIE's POV

My eyes sprung open after what felt like a surge of energy sweeping through me from head to toe. I can feel my heart thudding in my chest. I held the pillow closely as my eyes adjusted to the darkness. I steadied my breathing as I tried to recall what my dream was about. 

I always have dreams in my sleep but I often wake up not remembering what happened. In this case though, it's different. I wouldn't classify it as a nightmare but it left a lingering feeling of overwhelmingness in my heart. 

What was it about?

I struggled to go back as far as my vague memory can take me.

...

Water. 

Yes. Water. That's a start.

...

Splashing water. Making even more progress!

I decided to close my eyes in an attempt to make my recollection more substantial.

A couple of minutes passed and still no additional piece to my puzzle. I was getting a little bit frustrated already. Maybe I should just let it go. Probably meant nothing anyways. 

But when I was about to put a stop to my reminiscing, the sound of waves started to faintly ring in my ears. 

Beach!  A beach with strong splashing waves.

Nostalgia suddenly crept inside of me as soon as the hazy vision of the beach revealed itself. I'm not liking where this is going. But I remained still and let the rest of the mystery unveil itself. 

The sound of the waves gradually grew stronger as if I was walking towards it from the shore. All of a sudden, I sensed the dampness of the sand underneath my feet. It was becoming so realistic that I had to wriggle my toes thinking I might've teleported or something. To add up to my bewilderment, I can now feel the tingling sensation of water greeting my soles. 

No doubt, the dream is becoming alive. My then stable heartbeat has started picking up the pace again. 

The salty breeze of the air-filled my nostrils as I trotted down the watery path of the unknown. I was going in blind and yet I didn't feel the slightest amount of fear within me. As my feet pushed forward one after another, the deeper I was in the water. Both my soles repeatedly sank into the ocean's fine sand filling the space between my toes. I kept going until my fingers touched the freshness of the ocean water. I let the waves caress my palms as I take each step further. And before I even realized it, I was waist-deep into the vast open sea.

Instantaneously, as if someone pulled the switch somewhere, everything turned silent. I was at the same spot, still as a statue waiting for the next thing to happen. It was so fascinating to find myself so calm without a single clue of what's going on around me. In reality, I didn't appreciate even the idea of people sneaking up behind me because I get scared so easily. So this really is a dream after all and I have an inkling feeling that it's just about to wrap up.

Then without even a single heads-up, I gained sight of the situation right before me. A huge wave was approaching me from a distance. It was coming towards me so rapidly it got bigger and bigger by the second. The peacefulness I felt inside was the exact contradiction of the dangerous wave that was almost hovering over me now. I knew for a fact that once it hits me, it will swallow me whole and take me back where it came from. But I wasn't in panic. Instead, I stared at the wave with perfectly amused eyes waiting for it to envelope me.

I opened my arms and shut my eyes as I waited for it to hit me at any second.  

The serenity of the moment which lasted for what felt like forever was abruptly disturbed when the huge wave crashed on me. I foresaw myself plummeting to the ocean floor and letting its intensity carry me away. 

But that wasn't what happened.

As the wave dodged me backward, my feet left the surface of the sand. 

Interestingly, ...

I didn't fall.

...

Someone was right behind me.

I was really sure I was alone all this time. His presence wasn't felt until just now.

Despite the impact of the wave colliding on us, he remained unmoved. His strong hands held me by the arms as he steadied me back to my feet. 

A man.

I suddenly felt so much tension buzzing from within. I'm quite unsure if that was brought about by the clash or the energy from the touch of his fingertips. My back was pressed against his chest and I could feel his heart pounding. Gradually, his heartbeat drowned the sound of the waves in the background until it was the only thing I heard. 

That was when I began to feel overwhelmed. My emotions were all over the place! They were stirring up so fast I found myself breathless. And as if that wasn't enough, the mysterious man started to wrap his arms around me. I was motionless. It's not that I don't want him to. I simply let myself be enclosed in his tight embrace.

Surprisingly, he didn't feel strange. 

He was in fact, ...

familiar.

Since I started fitting the pieces together, there wasn't a single time I was in control. I was just there, merely a spectator, waiting for the dream to solve the puzzle by itself. 

But now, I felt something ignite within me. A strong desire to know who this person I'm sharing this intimate moment with. My thoughts haven't touched on what I'll do once I knew who he was. All I know, at this very moment, is that I have to know his identity.

I started to move my sleeping hands but they didn't budge. It took me three attempts before I finally freed them from paralysis. 

I began to reach out for his hands right across my chest. As soon as I did, I felt a surging current from the contact. It was getting excruciatingly painful by the second that I was already considering letting go. 

But no. I have to see his face. I have to know who he is.  

With all the strength I had, I pulled away from his embrace and bravely turned around to face him. And when I finally did, ... 

... my eyes sprung open once again.

______________________________________________________

To be continued...