78. A Different Drink

ROZIE'S POV

"Where the heck are you? You ghosted on everybody! Even me!" Her high-pitched voice busted from the phone.

I haven't been online since I flew in and I was just planning to check on my emails when Jennie suddenly video called me. I hesitated to answer knowing she'll surely bombard me with questions. But on second thought, I can always choose which questions to give answers to so I gave it a go.

"You have no idea how Paul has been since you're gone. The whole unit is a mess! There isn't a day when he isn't taking his anger out at us. Hell, I don't get paid just to be yelled at. That arrogant, voiceless imbecile!" I can just imagine her face while she said that last sentence. Her eyes have surely taken a 180-degree turn while her lips twitched from left to right.

"You know how short-tempered he is." I tried to pacify her.

"Well, to hell with him! Let's get back to you." Her tone changed abruptly. "Why did you leave so suddenly?"

Here comes the question. I exhaled heavily and answered, "I just need to take some time off."

"So you decide to leave your house too? Even your mom is clueless of your whereabouts. What's going on bitch? I'm all ears." She asked further.

"I just want to get away. That's all." Just stick with the same answers. Don't give her any detail that she might dig deeper from. Jennie is a miner. She just won't stop until she gets the information she needs.

"From Zach?"

I feel my stomach twitch by the mere mention of his name. She might have sensed the awkwardness through my silence.

"Ohh... It will take some time to get over that psycho. That idiot! I shouldn't have helped if I knew he was... Oops... Sorry." She's not. "But just for your information, he is perfectly doing fine! He seems to be very busy nowadays If you know what I mean." I don't. "I'm not trying to make you bitter or whatever, but wherever you are, you deserve to know that he isn't worth the pain. So get yourself back here and show him what a huge loss he has."

I stayed silent. I was trying to process what she just filled me in. What does she mean when she said he got himself busy? The rest of what she said just went out the other ear.

"Come back Rozie. I miss you."

The call ended on a sad note. Jennie was a lot of things but being unhappy was never one of them. She gave me something to realize after we hang up though.

Was it really the right decision to flee from my problems or do I have to face them head-on?

He is perfectly doing fine. He seems to be very busy nowadays. I recall her saying.

Has he totally moved on? I reached for my phone and hesitantly tapped on Facebook.

"It wouldn't hurt if I just take a peek. I just wanna know how he's doing." I said out loud.

I entered his name on the search field and started checking his profile. His timeline instantly showed a parade of pictures of him and a bunch of people partying almost every night. There wasn't a photo without a beer in his hand. He was almost always with some girl, the same on all posts.

And when one picture came up, I threw my phone like I was disgusted with it. I can hear my heart pounding in my chest. My forehead began filling up with cold sweat. It was a shot of him and that very same girl kissing with the rest of the gang cheering them on in the background.