82. Peppermint

ROZIE's POV

I can feel his muscles tighten the moment I clasped my fingers around his arm. Just the thought of those guys trying to barge in terrifies me.

He seemed to have been caught off-guard by the contact that he stayed mum for a little while. For a moment, he was just looking at me. A combination of what-the-hell-did-you-just-do and you-poor-little-thing resonated from his eyes.

I hang on to him like a child, so afraid of being left inside a grocery store.
"I'm coming with."

He gave me a quick nod and a little smile popped out from the corner of his lips. He led me out of the room never even daring to look back. I held tightly on to him, afraid those drunken men might spring out from one of the empty rooms along the hallway.

We walked quietly. He matched my pace. He wasn't in a hurry. He was giving me ample time to catch up considering the difference between his stride and mine. He made sure that I didn't lose my grasp.

We got out of the building and rode a cab that was on standby. This time, I let go of him. I just thought I was invading his personal space way too much.

It was a very silent drive. He didn't speak a word and neither did I. All I did was stare at both of my hands intertwined, trying to reflect on the things that have happened since I came to Seoul.

Is this a sign that staying here won't do me any good?

_______________________________________

JK's POV

Walking alongside her, I can't help but feel wretched about the ordeal she has just gone through.

She must be in a lot of trauma. She remained mute on our way back to the apartment. Her eyes were fixed on her feet, her arms crossed as we walked from the gate. I wanted to make it up to her for the misery I've caused. For one, I wanted to put my arms around her and assure her that it's not gonna happen again. I feel bad. I feel so bad right now.

She took the luggage from me and the look on her face was such a gloomy day. She tried to smile the best she could but it didn't help conceal her true feelings though.

"I'm really thankful you came for me. I should get some sleep. You should do the same."

She badly needs a hug right now but that I just cannot do. I merely nodded in response just so I can send her away. I was already having other thoughts that can make her feel comfortable but I should never cross the line. She is not my girlfriend, to begin with so Yoongi hyung should've been responsible for her from day 1. I did my part and I think that's just about enough.

She reached the end of the hallway and opened the door.

Why in the world does she need to take a look at me again and smile that way? Stop acting like a damsel in distress already!

I pursed my lips and tried setting my eyes free from the contact. I held my breath until I heard the door close. I can feel things stirring up inside and I'm not sure which one exactly to focus on. I've gone the extra mile. What else does she want me to do?

A LITTLE LATER

Since I debuted, I never had to think about anything else but myself. How do I sing this song perfectly? How do I dance the steps in exact precision? How can I be the best at everything that I do? The decisions on the bigger picture have been passed on to the elders so whatever they think is best doesn't really matter to me. I do as I am told and they clearly said that I focus on myself. And so I did.