63. Making progress

Deafening silence.

That's all there is.

It's like watching TV on mute while you struggle to the verge of panic in finding the freaking remote control hidden somewhere.

Then in just a snap, I was awake.

It took a few seconds for my eyes to adjust to the light shining from the window. I blinked a couple of times and the dresser in front of my bed registered into view. I steadied my breathing as I try to remember the dream I had that left my chest pounding like crazy.

Nothing. Nothing came to mind.

A dreamless, soundless sleep.

It should be comforting but it felt like a nightmare that's never coming to an end. The silence was piercing right into my ears; totally unbearable I thought I was gonna be deaf.

Then I suddenly heard a voice.

"Do you know how strange it is to look at a life-sized image of yourself?"

I searched the room for the source of that very familiar voice and gasped at the sight of him standing across the room. He was looking at the standee he once gave to me; his lips curved into scorn.

I jolted up in bed and blurted "Motherf.."

I didn't even get to finish when he darted his eyes at me and flashed a devilish smile on his face.

"Fucker?" He said with eyebrows raised; taunting me.

He approached the bed in slow motion or was it just my head exaggerating it. The grin of mischief never left his gaze as he inched closer and closer to me. 

"I am a lot of things..." He reached the edge of the bed and sat. "But.." he bent over drawing himself even nearer to me. I pushed my back against the wall, grabbing a pillow within reach.

He placed both hands on the bed and climbed in. He was on all fours now, his eyes of a beast looking at me like he was ready to devour me in one piece.

"One thing's for sure.." I could feel his breath on my cheeks. I closed my eyes shut, refusing to look him in the eye.

Snap out of it. Snap out of it.  I thought out loud. When I was little, my dad taught me a trick to wake myself up in a middle of a bad dream. I had to try my best to bend my toes inward and get myself awake in full conviction. And as far as I know, what I'm dealing with right now could fall under the nightmare category.

I tried with all my might as I did what I was told repeatedly, but when I peeked, this freaking Korean is still right in front of me; smiling like the devil's spawn.

"Try harder but you won't get rid of me.  I.... am... " he moved closer bit by bit in between words that I just had to steek my lids shut again. Then I felt his soft lips peck me on the tip of my nose. My eyes sprung open.

"Real as fuck."  He spoke in his very deep voice.

For a moment, we were staring at each other. I swear, he made it so difficult to look away until he pulled himself back and snickered to himself. He briskly got off the bed and took a look at himself in my dresser's mirror.

"I'm starving and you're cooking me breakfast." He said as he straightened up his hair before putting on his cap. "Be downstairs in 10." He was out the door. "And I'm not a fan of waiting!" He called out.

I threw my pillow on the doorway and scratched my head in exasperation.

Some boss he is!