50. Too Little Too Late

ROZIE'S POV

"2 Lattes please," Jennie said to the barista.

"I'll sit right over there.." I pointed at the small table at the far-end corner.

"Kk.."

Jennie invited me to have coffee today. We both have the same rest days so it was alright to cut on some hours of sleep. I had second thoughts at first but staying home alone wouldn't be such a good idea. Considering my emotional state at the moment, I decided to come along.

"It's been a while since we have this sesh right?"

"I know. Yoona always comes to mind whenever we hang like this, which reminds me. Have you heard from her?"

"Oooh. I've totally forgotten. We had a video call like two or three days ago. She'll be back here sometime this month."

"What date exactly?"

"Hmmm. I think it's on the 22nd. Let me check." She looked into her phone with her freshly manicured pink fingernails. "Yup. Feb 22. Good thing I noted it in my calendar."

"Feb 22..." This date was pretty significant to me for the past 4 years simply because it was...

Zach's birthday.

"So what are we cooking then? It's been a really long time since we've seen her..it has to be something grand don't you think?.."

Zach always celebrated his birthdays with me. A week before that day, I would find myself in a dilemma on what to give him on his special day. I tried giving him a surprise the first time and he figured it all out way before we even started setting up. I gave him a scrapbook in the second year. It looked like trash but he looked like he loved it or maybe he was just too polite to say how horrible it was. In the third year, I bought him a pair of shoes. Being a person who doesn't repeat the same set of clothing in like forever, I really appreciated him wearing the same set of kicks for a month. It must have been hard for him to look at himself in the mirror. Last year, I took both of us to a whole day pamper session. That was I think the most enjoyable of all and the very last one I guess.

"Two lattes.." the cafè crew suddenly showed up in front of us placing our orders on the table.

"Oh yes. Thank you. Here. Drink up Zie. You look spaced out. Is it about him again?"

I shook my head. It really wasn't. I tried my best to divert my attention whenever he comes to mind (yes, his name would no longer be mentioned for my own sake) and Zach was the perfect distraction.

For five days of working straight since my absence, we have repeatedly run into each other inside and out of the office. I always made sure our paths didn't cross. It's either I find another way to go when I see him coming or appear to look busy or unaware of his presence when he's nearby. It was tiring and depressing at the same time. I've always found comfort when he's around me but now, all I get is stress and longing.

When I look at him from afar, I've noticed how much he changed. He looked pretty much the same but the thing is, he was mingling now. He was so detached back then. He only talked to other people when necessary but if not, he literally ignored the rest of the world while his eyes focused on me. I'm not gonna deny that I miss that.. too much actually. The special way he makes me feel whenever we're together is just nostalgic. He doesn't even look at me now. For so many times I've stared at him wanting him to look back but he never did. He has eyes for someone else now and her name's Cindy.

Yup. Her name sounds like a porn star or something. I'm not bitter or anything it's just that, I don't like her at all. She's newly endorsed from training and ever since she stepped into production, all the guys have been drooling over her.