Chapter 4: Mom, Mochi's Causing Trouble

Jin tiptoed from in front of the shoe rack to the spacious entrance of their apartment. He heard the microwave vibrating from a distance and the kettle heating up above the stove.

He sneaked in like a pro. His stealth-mode expertise activates as he bites the skin of his bottom lip, crouches his back, and bends his knees. His hands were holding his bag tightly when the tiny bell on the keychain hanging in the side of his bag brushed to the other side and made a sound, yet he walked like an expert cat without a sound.

His mouth formed into a small 'o' as the heel of his foot touched the polished floor. Slowly, he then presses the rest of his foot down with his toes curled.

One foot after another, he repeated the same process at ease.

Mochi was behind him, observing and following his little and quiet steps while wagging his tail. His dog looked at him with curious black eyes, trying to understand what he's doing.

Jin sticks his tongue between his lips while looking back at his dog. His face continues to dishevel. He knows that look quite well.

Don't make a sound.

Mochi must have understood the situation when he suddenly ran off to his room without further argument, leaving him baffled in his place.

He thought Mochi wanted to play with him, but he guesses not.

As he resumes approaching his mother from behind, Jin jumps at her when he was an arm's length away from her, "Mom!"

He wraps his arms around her shoulders and squeezes her in his embrace. He can feel her flinch from his attack before he receives a light smack in the side of his thigh.

"I'm home," whispered Jin sweetly while trying to peek at his mother's reaction.

"Aigoo, are you planning on giving me a heart attack? When did you arrive huh?"

Jin pressed his cheeks against the back of her head and lovingly swayed their bodies side to side.

His mother, Asami Saesang, turns around wearing an amused smile and jokingly pinches his waist before wrapping her arms back around him. She had a gentle expression on her face and her embrace was tight, warm, and comforting.

Jin never felt more relaxed this day until he is now.

It's been a long day, has it?

"My poor baby," his mother wailed like a child. "I heard you passed out again." She rubs the side of his body with comfort. Yet, smack the bag on his back and whines at him, "Aigoo, this child. It's heavy put it down."

Jin smiled. He didn't want her to worry over him too much. She has been coming home late a lot lately, so he's worried he'll only burden her further.

He's already seventeen. He can handle himself well and he's not alone. Ms. Euna and Jihyuk were there with him.

Jin sighs, looking back at what happened now. The heavy sensation he endured for a while came rushing back to his head upon remembering the dream he had before he gained his consciousness. He buries his head to his mother's shoulder like a whimpering child yearning for attention and console. His chest was heavy.

He's tired. He wants to sleep a few more hours because his body felt drained in exhaustion after riding and walking home, plus his stomach and the pain in his head were acting up on a wrong day again.

"It's a long story, mom. I was overdoing PE."

Lies. He felt sick since early in the morning.

"I told you I'd drive you to school, but you insisted on taking the bus."