Chapter 59

Gulping heedfully, Jin can't help the shivering of his fingers as they tightly held onto the material between his pale hands. He stifles a low and concerned gasp and drops the letter at the table, afraid that he might wrinkle and ruin its splendid perfection.

"E-Eomma, about the invited guests . . . is the guest list already finalized?" He can't help but pop the question at her and his starry violet eyes appear to be looking lost in dreadful portent as they meet hers.

His mother responded to him with a meek and mellow smile. Her eyes were softly beaming as they warmly look further into his.

Well, isn't he curious now?

With her head tilted to the other side, she opens her mouth. Or perhaps it was her heart that was grinning presumptuously at the thought of him displaying a hint of interest in her civilized wedding.

Jin pursed his lips. Why is his mother looking at him like that? His firm brows shot up ferociously at her, staring at her serious-mindedly. It was as if he said something that entertained her when the matter at hand is clearly unsettling.

"The guest list, you say?" Asami paused. Her fingers touch the tip of her chin, suddenly in deep thoughts.

Now that the matter is brought up, she remembered the settlement she proposed as they were still ailing to reconsider rejecting their heeding requests and it was not an easy task, "I'm afraid, not. There are still quite a few more important figures who wanted to attend."

Jin blinks, his slightly quivering lips parted, "J-Jinjjayo?" (R-Really?)

What does she mean by that?

His eyes then gloomily drop to the outstretched invitation card on the table, and the mental stimulation he had received today seems to tire him out endlessly. His head starts to achingly spin.

It already says here that there are a thousand guests drafted, was it not?

The disheartened young fellow weakly folds the invitation card close and puts it back inside its rightful envelope, where it shouldn't have been opened in the first place.

A small, sad smile softly touches his lips as he buries the dissatisfaction inside his guarded eyes.

"Are you alright, sweetheart?"

His mother's hand went up to caress his arm, but her warmth was nowhere to be sensed at the moment. His body had grown stiffer and colder as he rapidly pales, feeling not in his usual self.

The bitter taste on his tongue and the discomforting heaviness clouding his chest . . . should he confess his discomforts to her? Would it even change a thing?

Jin forces out a smile.

Seeing how happy she is, how could he ever dare to?

He could never bring himself to do it.

The best he could do was to just hold it further in as he doesn't want her to feel burdened by him more. She had already suffered enough.

When Asami compassed from shedding tears towards the letter she briefly resumed reading, she safely placed it back inside the envelope and excused herself from her children to hide the letter somewhere safe inside her room. She held the envelope close to her chest with obvious care as she leaves whilst Jin absentmindedly and wordlessly went back to his seat, feeling forsakenly defeated.

How should he face that crazy amount of people?

When his mother officially left the kitchen, a heavy silence falls between him and Jihyuk and it was another pain in the head for him to even think of.