Chapter 20

After hearing his voice for the second time around, at last, Mochi opens his eyes with a vigorous face of virtue. What is it? Did that Jihyuk jerk receive a blow from his owner?

Mochi waggled his head to the other side and opened his small jaw widely, yawning as if he had one good sleep while waiting for his return. One paw after another, Mochi rises and stretches his body. His head was full of laughs as his tail wagged in victory. A good cuddle with Jin would do after this.

He has done a pretty good job at acting. Should he sign up like one of those paid actors his beloved owner always watches on TV?

Jin squeezed his eyes shut in distress, controlling his temper at the sight of Mochi's filthy legs and fur. It was a face slapping evidence from the cunning criminal himself that has already been caught red-handed within the crime scene, "Come—"

Before Jin could dash towards his dog who's acting all frail and innocent, Jihyuk's hands held him by his underarms, stopping him from his enraged advancement. Jihyuk's grip around him was firm as he lifted him as high as possible from the floor, afraid he might slip on the carpet just as he did earlier.

His little rival is undoubtedly the worst at playing roles in situations like this, "There's no need to go after him. He already looks guilty as it is, bomi." Jihyuk places him down on his spotless and tidy counter upon seeing the animosity inside his amethyst eyes.

He brushed his fingers through his damp hair and kicked the pillow beside his foot which he almost stepped.

Jin grabbed the clean towel hanging on the rack behind him and placed it over his friend's head, his dainty fingers drying his damp hair with the towel. He sighs. Even though Jihyuk suddenly had a growth spurt when they were young, he still sees him as a child despite his tall figure.

With the smell of disinfectant calming both of them down, Jihyuk leans his head forward to make it easier for Jin to continue what he's doing. His calm eyes stared straight at the serious expression on Jin's face, entertained by just watching Jin's eyebrows battling against the unmatched softness in his eyes. His hands clench the edge of the counter, slowly shutting his eyes as he feels the soft ruffles of Jin's fingers above the cloth in his head rubbing against his scalp.

"You really don't know how to take good care of yourself."

Jihyuk's lips thinned. He wishes for this precious moment to never end.

"Your place..." Jin's desire to bury himself alive for today had risen past the finishing line. Gathering up the huge compilation of it, he already had enough embarrassment to dine for today and the next years of his existence.

He didn't expect leaving Mochi with Jihyuk would be this worst. He thought this might be the perfect time for them to make up and get along with each other, but instead, it only caused him another pain in the head.

"I have already called a cleaner, but the service would take about half a day," replied Jihyuk, hearing himself purring like a cat

"What about the damages?" Jin breathes. Surely his mother wouldn't dramatically collapse in his hand later after hearing the sum of it, no?

Jihyuk shakes his head, "I wanted to replace some stuff in here for a long time," It's been years. He looked over to the other side, catching one quick glimpse over Mochi with a smile as vicious as the devil on his lips, "Your dog just helped me get rid of it."

'You're no match against me,' he mouthed at Mochi.

"You're making your apartment look more pitiful than it already is. Before the damages are repaired, you can always stay at our place," since Jihyuk is more like a family to them, his mother wouldn't mind. Instead, his mother spoils Jihyuk too much for being studious and independent despite his parents working and living abroad.

Always? Jihyuk's smile reached his eyes, "Well, I don't want to reject such welcoming offer."

It turns out it was him who achieved victory in the end, "I'm now in your care, bomi."

Mochi's soul left his body after overhearing their conversation.

No, my Jin-ah, do not be deceived!

-----------

"—status?"

"...order valid."

"..."

As the wind gushed towards the opposite direction, different muffled murmurs mixed with the vagued sound of engines revving and chains clacking can be heard from the distance, bouncing from one corner to another.

Under the peaceful night of Korea, the gruesome sound of screams and pleads were only one of the few playlists playing on loop inside the eerily dark steel rooms, around the secluded private property on the south.

One sturdy pair of oxford shoes walk against the cold and grey marbled floor, the sound of its heel clatter against the blessed limestone to have indirectly touched the mighty persona himself. The dim lights accompanied him along the endless hallway with ten pairs of combat boots behind him in tow.

Ten pairs of eyes were alert behind the man's cold back. They all had turned a blind eye at the dangerous abyss lurking around the man before them. Their bodies numb, feeling the large waves of chills in their body as each room they have passed emitted a dwelling mist of tragedy and agony, the unseen souls of the many from a few they have once personally witnessed before each's passing.

No one dared to speak a word seeing the man was in a foul mood ever since they have escorted him from the entrance. The man shoves his hands inside his trousers and halts, causing all foot to stop midway from the elevator.

The group of men swallowed their saliva hard, their eyes followed the man's hand that loosened the tie around his neck while waiting for the elevator. They had to raise their guard up, knowing such a simple tie can be a destructive weapon.

"The westside."

Even though the man wasn't facing them, they knew it was them whom he asked. A young man barely recognizable in his 16 years of age due to his lean and tall physique voluntarily took the courage to walk forward and stand beside the man, making sure to leave enough distance as he doesn't want to endanger his life yet.

"The attack against the westside took place yesterday. You were right about those rascals, boss. They have been abducting young children and auctioning them to the Americans at a high price." It was a matter of luck that the children were saved on the event. Their goal was to personally destroy their tiny group in offense to the man's temper.

"And their headquarters?"

"Ravaged, Boss," exploded into pits was a better word for that, "Their european leader in the auction was as well captured alive," In the brink of death, but still breathing. Sounding so proud and confident of another successful mission and not losing the life of their guild, the young boy had a small smile on his lips.

Unexpectedly, the man turned his head towards him that caused all the remaining men in their place to flinch, suddenly smelling death for them was near.

Has it always been this cold?

The man's dull gaze pierced through the young man's head, "Just that?" The riled anger inside his eyes stiffens the person before him. They persistently called him to report that?

Just that? The young boy blinks his eyes, gulping as he stares into the dark abyss before him that's sucking the soul out from his body. He could feel his whole body shuddered, he did not dare to look away with disrespect. The man wasn't even a bit pleased.

"The higher-ups and their whole colony are held captive as well." What else is there? The young boy struggled to report how successful this mission was but was not quite expected as to what he told him.

The young boy's shoulders fell seeing the man's unchanged dissatisfied expression. Despite working their blood, sweat, and tears for the mission, the word failure slapped their faces.

"..."

Who in the world dared to piss the devil?