Chapter 6: Heart to Heart Talk (Part 2)

When Asami returns home, she changes back into her indoor slippers and closes the wide steel door as it automatically locks behind her. She then heads straight to the kitchen while carrying a plastic bag in her hand. She sighs along the way, the extreme guilt piercing her heart as she recalls Mrs. Yen's mournful smile while she was walking her back to their apartment.

Those short minutes Asami shared with her were the best.

Mrs. Yen reminds her of her birth mother, hence, the happy old couple filled the longing she felt within her from her strict yet loving parents, who are in Japan.

It's been tough being away from the place of her origin.

Ten long years, Asami Saesang hasn't stepped a foot in Japan since then.

How she wished it'll be summer already, she plans to visit soon as possible. Jin's already seventeen, it should be safe enough to travel by plane.

She doesn't know what she would do if he passes out inside the plane and need medical attention right there and on.

To be short, she was just too paranoid. She couldn't afford to risk his life just to grant her wishes.

After having him, it took her one child to realize and understand why her parents were so protective of her when she was still staying under their roof.

Jin opens his eyes wide at the familiar smell spreading in their apartment. Is that what he thinks it is?

"Mr. Yen's Bulgogi?"

Oh, how he loves its inevitable scent intruding and pleasuring his nostrils.

He rushed to the counter and pulled one of the seats as his mother took out the Bulgogi inside the plastic, a black plate wrapped with a foil on top of it.

"Yes, apparently Mr. Yen insisted on bringing it home with me." She licks the stains in her fingers before throwing the moist foil in the bin, "He doesn't want you to miss this chance of eating your favorite."

It tasted just how Jin wanted it.

She couldn't describe or measure how Mr. Yen favors and adores her child. She couldn't thank the couple enough for their warm affection towards them.

Asami smiles after seeing the glint inside Jin's eyes. His gaze never left the untouched and warm Bulgogi.

Jin's gaze shift from the bulgogi laid hot before to his mother that's standing across the counter. His eyes went down to the appetizing dish, then back at his mother again.

He's famished, but eating is not the best choice right now.

For the love of God, his stomach is not the important issue right now.

Asami checks her wristwatch. It's still quarter to five.

A small meal should be fine. Likewise, their dinner will be right around eight in the evening.

She leans in, her hands pressed onto the counter as she kisses him on his forehead, "You did well today." Her fingers lovingly brush through the strands of his hair.

School's tough, she, herself experienced the hardships of a student and one of those is the intense pressure she received from her family and worrying about her success in the future.

As his mother, she doesn't want him to experience the insecurities she had back then. Instead, what she wants for him is simple, she wishes him to enjoy his university life to its fullest, make mistakes, learn, and gain experience not just shove his face to hundreds of pages from his academic books that won't let him understand what true happiness feels like.