Chapter 56.1 (Part 1)

As Asami quietly makes her way back towards the living room amidst trying to gather her scattered thoughts in one place, she found herself stopping as her eyes thoroughly examine her own reflection when she passes a full-body mirror hanging peacefully by the wall in the foyer and her mouth parts in disbelief. My good Lord...

Disheveled hair, black eyeliner stains at the corner and under her puffed eyes, red runny nose, and wrinkled clothes.

Her hand went up to cover her mouth, at a loss for words as she sneezes then sniffs, trying to control her flowy nose that's acting up at the wrong momentum.

She looks so done.

And her children had seen her in this state?

Aigoo. Her soul exhaustedly left her body, in a state of death.

Is it too late for her to save face?

She glumly fixes her hair, straightening a few strands that are currently on rebellion, brushes off a few smudges of her eyeliner in sight, and fixes the visible greases of her office attire. But despite her cluttered appearance, she was more worried about the cake in her hand.

Is the cake fine?

She bends down and took her shoe off, and by the moment she place her foot flatly against the cold floor, she groans and breathes in relief before taking off the other. Though she frequently winces in the air due to the stabbing pain, at the same time she was thankful that her worries could end here—that her prayers were heard. Her over-the-top worried mom mode could now finally pull back its lever without further complications.

A proud smile stretches her lips when she peeks down at the untouched and unbelievably safe condition of the cake in her grip through the transparent plastic cover over the top of the designed box and stops there, not checking any further, and little did she know she missed an important point that would cause her disappointment to arise later on.

"Did you kids have dinner already?" She speaks as soon as she finally left the foyer with a wide smile on her lips. She greeted her two lovely boys with the warmest smile she could give. They were standing a meter away from each other, rather too quiet but comfortably calm as if they had been patiently waiting for her to return and my, my, the sight of them both in one picture is a match made in heaven. It makes her heart swell in joy.

They're getting along quite well already.

What a truly fine sight indeed.

"Eomma..." Jin mutters longingly and worriedly from the distance and his sad and wavering voice had caused two pairs of ears to perk up in alert.

Hiro moves his head and peeks down at him, his once flat brows now frown in sudden worry.

Sweetheart...

Asami spread her arms and nudges her child for an embrace, which Jin gladly followed, running to her open arms and wrapping his arms around her. As soon as he was an arm's length close, she squeezes him lovingly between her arms, holding back her tears.

She's finally home.

She pulls back and cups her child's face in her hands. Her glistening amethyst eyes look at his bothered ones with so much warmth. 'He' is her home.

If something were to truly happen to her child in her absence, she would lose the purpose to fight or even desire to live longer anymore.

She's glad everything's fine and peaceful as it seems now.

She averts her gaze and eyes the source of the sullen and heavy aura that's swirling disturbingly from the distance and her eyes led her to her fiancé's too flawless offspring, who now had an indifferent expression shown on his face. The fine young lad was wearing his usual stoic and deadpanned expression on. Nevertheless, 'thank you,' she mouths at him. For keeping her baby safe. Her heeded prayers and sincerity have been truly granted by the heavens as they sent him to her—to his child's side.