Chapter 58

Half an hour later, after the unexpected turn of events, the kitchen was now rowdy with blithesome chatters and bantering laughter.

With the distinct and ear-piercing sound of utensils scraping against the polished plates ringing in the background, Jin sat among his mother and Jihyuk, lips sealed as he wordlessly studies the merry ambiance of the room around him. He quietly drops the fork in his hand down to his plate, feeling out of place and trapped in his own bubble of despair, if he may dramatically call it.

He peeks at the person at his side and he squirms uncomfortably on his seat when their eyes briefly met, his reluctant and glum gaze against Jihyuk's unreadable ones. And Jin wonders how could he freely smile like that when they haven't made up yet.

Jihyuk's dark eyes had perfectly conveyed his anger towards him that's clearer than the crystals by the sea and oh how Jin knew of those threatening eyes of his very well.

He could picture him glaring towards his seat despite wearing the usual polite smile he's known for while joking around with his mother.

Gah! The audacity he has.

Jin closed his eyes and forced himself to smile towards him, yet impulsively snarled at him from within. He can play this game he started, too.

Well, at the very least he's a little pleased that Jihyuk is still looking out for his mother, despite knowing that they're both in a foul mood.

But the fact that Jihyuk is seated at the very same chair that had imprinted a heated memory he had with someone, someone who's now a few miles away was unavoidable for roses to not spread vibrantly across his translucent and pale skin as they gleam and glow under the lights.

He, too, can feel the stuffy and warm feeling at the edge of his ears, burning and itching.

It was a good thing that he finished his meal early because if he didn't, he's sure he'll lose his appetite by now halfway through finishing his meal in his situation.

He clears his throat and looks away, still feeling his so-called friend burning a hole in his face.

Geez, why is he staring so intensely?

"So she called, eh?"

Asami wipes her unshed tears from the corner of her eyes as a result of laughing too hard before rising from her seat to look for clean tissues, "Aigoo, did your mother scold you?" She continues while facing Jihyuk, referring to the incident in his apartment.

Jihyuk nods at her before Jin caught him again glancing towards his place, eyes a bit stern and desperate, "She did, though she was nagging me to spend more."

His mother burst into another blossoming and merry laughter as she wipes the visible tears in her eyes with the tissue she found on the kitchen island, "Goodness, Suli never changed." She then fans her eyes with her hands, pupils looking up at the ceiling while she was still on the brink of catching her breath. Her cheeks were flushed and her eyes were moist with tears.

"Eomma, breathe . . ." The worried young fellow warns his mother, worried and he can hear Jihyuk's heavy sigh beside him.

Jin stands, bringing his empty plate with him and placing it at the sink, "I have to get something in my room. I'll be back."

His mother nods at him and watches him walk back to his room until he disappears behind the door.

When Jin shuts the door behind him, he leans his body exhaustingly against the nearest wall, sighing deeply in relief. The extreme comfort he was once overwhelmed was replaced by severe isolation. Has his room always looked this empty to him? He suddenly feels . . . alone.