Chapter 70

From the room's exterior to the staff's different treatment towards them, from what he's been seeing and observing everything is truly bizarre and confusing at the moment.

Before giving him the awaited response to his question, his mother hauls him to the dining table and encourages him to take a seat before she wordlessly signaled the butler to come forth.

She turns to him briefly and gives him her usual reserve smile, "I'm sorry, sweetie. But it's time you take your lunch. We'll talk and leave later when we can."

She averts her attention again towards the butler and they shortly discussed the list of dishes she had thought in mind that were good for his digestion. The butler was quick to wrap everything else before he left to inform the kitchen. The maid, on the other hand, was also occupied with organizing and preparing their utensils on the table to even spare them a glance.

When everything seemed to settle down, Asami relaxes and sat beside her child, whom she appreciated that he patiently waited for her to finish bossing around.

She hands him the brochure she has been carrying as she casually leans her back against the cushioned seat and examines the way her child's facial expression changes from awestruck to intrigue then confused.

She points her index finger against the heading of the paper in his hands, "That's the property I have been saving up for four years now. Though I bought it in a rush, I assumed you're tired of living in crowded spaces, so I purchased us a land and a house in Cheon."

Jin's creased eyebrows flattened in surprise.

"Harashi and I have been arguing about living separately after marriage," said Asami. Of course, the negotiation didn't end like how she wanted. That stubborn man didn't even know she was already planning things ahead of him. She sighs.

Everything is pacing so fast, she felt her world has spun backwards. It's too good to be true.

She could at least do this for him—for them.

Jin was at a loss for words again. When he lift his eyes to see his mother, he was greeted by her solemn and loving smile.

And it felt like his heart was stabbed ten inches deeper. It made him feel pathetic all over.

How could he have been thinking and hating to leave this place when it was his mother who has done and suffered enough from everything. She has been doing the best she can for both of them.

His lips thinned and his nose starts to tingle. It was a sign that his tears were knocking to come out as his body moved according to its will. His arms stretch forward and lock around his mother's warm body. He embraced her like he never did before with guilt and sadness continuously consuming him.

He buried his face to her shoulder as his eyes ache for tears, "I'm scared." He confesses.

And he admits he still is.

"I didn't want to leave Hongwon. I don't want to leave my friends and I hated leaving Jihyuk and everything behind. I thought we were happy here. I thought nothing would go wrong." His lips trembled and he clutched onto his mother's clothes tightly, his pale fingers quivering weakly, "I was anxious and I hate myself for feeling that way. Eomma . . . m-mianhe (s-sorry). I'm sorry for being too selfish."

He sobbed and poured out all the grief he cannot deny he's been keeping for days behind his mother's back.

His heart was aching and at this moment he just wanted to let it all out.

"Shh. It's alright." Asami worriedly embraced him back, her hands caressing his back up and down repeatedly, "Didn't mommy say, I'll take care of us both till the end?" She held the back of his head and kissed him on his temple. My sweet child.