Chapter 96: Little Haru

"Haru?"

Jin utters the familiar name between his lips, and he's as surprised as anybody would when the syllables of Haru's name roll on his tongue with so much ease.

It nearly sounds like Hiro's name. He thought so.

Trembling little Haru unhurriedly nods his head at him albeit he appears like he's truthfully close to crying.

His wet amber brown pupils shook in panic as he turned his head and glanced behind him, seemingly petrified of the approaching woman and the growling cougar in front of him.

Jin's lips thinned to an awkward straight line as his curious eyes followed Haru's gaze with the wind softly brushing through the strands of his hair and lashes.

He blinks, and the corners of his eyes widen to meet the woman's worried gaze.

She flashes him a nervous smile plastered on her youthful face, and Jin can sense her uneasy and anxious heart from there.

Is she Haru's mother?

Jin once again brought his gaze down to Haru, "Can you understand me?" he asks him in Korean.

And he hoped Haru would because he's neither confident in speaking English nor Japanese.

Haru breathes heavily and shoves the side of his face shyly to the back of his hand and meekly nod his head, giving him the answer he needed to confirm his question.

Oh my.

Jin's lips quavered at such warming gesture.

Seconds ago, he was anxious as his heart had denied accepting the premature change of fate in his lifestyle. He never considered more comforted by that fear he had until now when he realized it wouldn't be just Hiro and his mother he could rely on and talk to now.

It seems he made another friend.

Jin twisted and turned his wrist so that his cold open palm was now touching Haru's face.

With that, he cupped his face and secretly gave Haru's unbelievably smooth cheek a soft caress, rubbing and feeling its plumpness against his fingertips. "I'm cold, aren't I?"

Haru shakes his head politely, and to Jin's surprise, he turns to fully submerge his face to his touch.

Jin could feel his moist breath hitting his palm as he listened to his mumbles.

"Mou sokushi . . ." (a little more . . . )

Jin bites his lips when his urge to laugh almost broke his self-control because the comparison he sees between Haru and Hiro is undoubtedly alike.

He darts his amused gaze back at Hiro, whose brows are now upsettingly furrowed, and the crumpled skin between his thickened brows was evident, paired with the worrying visible frown on his face.

His expression screamed negligence. He was nowhere near looking stern and lifeless upon reaching adulthood.

He can't believe he's sulking.

The woman approaches them, and only then Haru had no choice but to release Jin's hand, one finger after the other. He was crying.

"Haru, haven't I told you to wait patiently inside the house?"

The woman picks Haru up in her arms when his crying continues.

"Shine taku nai . . . "

Haru sobs and wails on the woman's shoulders and Jin's heart was torn to little pieces.

"S-Shine taku nai!" (I-I don't want to die)

Haru kept repeatedly saying, his little crumpled fist rubbing his eyes relentlessly as his tears and sobs only worsened.