Chapter 66

After bidding farewell to Yeji and Hesung, Jin traced his route to the bus stop and instantly leaned his back weakly against the shed's striped wall, taking his moment to collect himself as he catches his breath.

His stomach took its fill from the dishes they enjoyed together and unknowingly, a warm smile stretches across his lips as he remembers Yeji's nonstop banters from earlier. Another thing he will surely miss the most.

He knew there wouldn't be any other Yeji and Hesung in Cheon to comfort him.

Now that he was left alone and forced to swallow up the silence around him, the unavoidable distraction has finally been put to an end which he avoided not to.

His head slipped back to being clouded with worries about what was waiting for him ahead. The same fear mixed with a bit of frustration he's discouraging himself to dwell in swallows him up, wholly.

He deemed like wandering in the center of a dark forest with its heavy mist surrounding and blocking his every bit of light and hope to see his way out.

Day by day, it only made him want to run away.

He was beginning to feel more anxious and tensed over his mother's betrothal day that was fast approaching without him noticing much about it since the university's final exams had covered it up for him, but now that there was much more room to start overthinking things through, it was hell and heaven for him.

He presses his lips against the scarf around his neck, its soft edges touching and caressing his pale and cold face, giving him a bit of warmth as his eyes stared lifelessly down at the ground before him that's bathed in sunlight.

At the end of the day, he couldn't speak to his friends about their migration to Cheon which will take place two days from now.

No, it was more likely that he wouldn't.

He didn't have the heart to do so.

He feared that if he did open it up to them, they'll eventually let out their wrath against him or question him endlessly. Jihyuk's upset and sulking manner towards him today was already enough for him to handle. He can't risk thinking about theirs too, especially since the days have been passing by in a blink.

When he arrived safely in their apartment, he found his mother running back and forth in the living room with a large box in her hands. She has already started packing and he can even notice the tiniest items he never paid much attention to before were no longer in sight.

Eventually, everything was starting to feel glum around him after seeing the piled and taped boxes in the living room. All the fresh memories this place offered him played like a series of films inside his head, making him upset that it will soon fade.

The throbbing pain he felt inside his chest nearly made him collapse, but he endured and concealed that immediately when his mother turned to notice his too quiet arrival.

"Oh, you're home?" His mother holds him and kisses his temple before pulling him to the kitchen to serve him warm water, "How were the exams?"

She presents him with her euphoric smile and Jin lowers his gaze to his glass, hating himself for having such foolish thoughts when his mother was very much looking forward to these changes, the changes he admits that are scaring him.

He sips a bit of water from his glass, his mind soaring elsewhere unreachable as he tries his best to look unbothered despite his irregular breathing, "Fine," he absentmindedly replies, secretly hyperventilating.

Does his mother know that Jihyuk and him are on bad terms?

He wishes and hopes not.

He frowns. He wouldn't want to deal with her inquisition. Not now, when there's a lot of baggage lined up inside his head.