11

See...??!!

SEE...?!!

He knew this would happen...!
He looked with as much anger as he could project without coming off as rude towards Sumati while standing at the threshold of one, single bedroom they decided to spare for the couple in the entire Das haveli.

Sumati knew her jamai babu was a ticking time bomb right now. She could do nothing.

He left Roy Chowdhury haveli in a perfectly spoiled mood.

For starters, he spilled his coffee and was denied another cup by his kaka as punishment. Bondita just couldn't find an earring good enough to match the extravagant saree his kaka had decided to gift her, to show off in front of her family, at the very last moment...! And to top it off were the excruciating minutes he spent with his kaka while Bondita was fretting, being lectured on how he should spend his time with his wife now that he would be getting all the free time with her.

He had noticed that his kaka had a pivotal role in his peril most of the time, this morning was no exception.

Thakuma had welcomed them at Das haveli with all the pomp and fuss to show off her perfect jamai babu. Her handsome, educated, rich , high caste, powerful, London returned and , not her favourite quality, a dotting husband of a jamai babu. She never liked his extra attentions towards Bondita, it was un-husband like, but never opposed as to others it looked like he loved her and it was helpful in shuting down rumours floating around them. That they were not a real married couple.

He held Bondita's hand while entering the gate, for calming his own nerves. They would be starting just any minute now.

" Durga maa shield them from all evil eyes...!! They look so beautiful together...!!!" Came a woman's voice.
Aniruddh momentarily closed his eyes to gather strength. Dugga ma knew he needed it.

Atleast Bondita was happy, he noticed.
" Yes, Yes...! but the only evil eye Bondita needs to be wary of is her pati Babu's. Look how he is admiring her...!" Someone else this time. She had decided to add a noticeably uncultured laugh at the end.

" After all our Bondita is lucky. Not all women have such dotting husband...!"
He could not track who said what anymore.
"This is what it must feel like for your ears too bleed"  he wondered, subconsciously touching his ear..."they must be turning red."

" Look his ears are turning red...!!!"

Ufff...it was like him and Bondita standing in the village bathroom all over again. He needed to be away from them before his Bondita's cheeks start turning red.

" Let them atleast enter " it was Sumati's soft voice this time. And she led them inside the haveli.

" I am sorry jamai babu." She knew how uncomfortable he got in such situations. " But you are coming to the haveli for the first time, thakuma arranged this small gathering so that everyone could know who our jamai babu is and to give their blessings."

Yes...it was his first time here. He had come to know of Bondita's side of the family 2 years ago and it was surprising for people to know that he didn't visit his in laws even after sharing the border of their villages.

Das family had visited them a few times and he had known by that how regressive the thoughts and actions of thakuma were. Her visits to tulsipur would be spent on debates as to why Bondita should invest more of her time in kitchen and tending to her husband. She understood Aniruddh hated those debates and had stopped expressing her views. But he did not like the displeased looks she passed Bondita.

He could not attend Tupur's wedding. Due to all the work he had buried himself in. He did try to convey his regret but thakuma had not taken it lightly, he could sense it. Bondita had attended the wedding for the both of them. It had been a year and a half since. He heard that Tapur's husband, Chandrachur was a ghar jamai now.