124

Maybe if Trilochan had not held her hand the bond would not have formed. An invisible thread would not have tied them together. But maybe they already were tied tight.

" Zamindar...Babu..."

" That...saree is for you." It was still hard for him to sit properly or talk so he just said it out clear.

Kalindi for the first time felt such a blush creeping up her cheeks. For her ? A boy...no, man, a man bought something for her ? And a somersault she felt in her stomach and the thought of him being the one she was to be married. Maybe she was too naive for her age but it already felt he was her husband.

" I bought it to gift it to you. To wear on your first day in Roy Chowdhury haveli."

" I..." She looked at the saree packet she had placed back in its original place. " Babu...I...I have nothing to give you. I..."

" Don't be like that. It is not even that beautiful." He spoke softly. " Women in Roy Chowdhury haveli wear sarees weaved with gold and silver threads. This is just..."

" It is beautiful." Kalindi cut him off. " I should go." She hurriedly turned around in fear of her tears showing. This was a dream. It had to be. How could he care so much ? Men didn't usually shop for women. And that too a saree. She hardly knew what men were like but she could tell he was one of the good ones.

" Take it with you." Trilochan said as she stood with her back to him.

" You give it to me yourself after I come to your haveli."

Their last meeting. Her first and last wish she made to him kept repeating itself in his ears over and over again duming the harsh voices in the mandap.

" My...my daughter will be ruined." Kalindi could never forget how her father pleaded to his so called friend.

" She already is !" Trilochan was shook to the core at the loud voice of his Baba. He had no courage to look at the girl sitting beside him. " Trilochan ! What are you still doing sitting there ?!"

Trilochan got up. One look to where she was sitting, she didn't look up. Why would she ? He moved away. Steps were painful but it was a command of his Baba.

" A girl who can enter a man's room at night can not be a Roy Chowdhury Bahu." Trilochan looked up to his Baba. He was a strict man. A reputed one. But maybe today he could have been a little softer. He already had stood up from the mandap, the wedding was already cancelled. He didn't have to insult her anymore.

" It was your own son ! She saved his life."

" All I can do is reward her for it." Trilochan heard his Baba as he kept taking steps away from her. Binoy standing at a distance was shell shocked.

" He was her soon to be husband." Kalindi heard one last attempt of her Baba.

" This time." Trilochan was begging in his mind for his Baba to stop. " But I don't know about other men she has gone to like this. I suggest you let this go easy. You are my friend, I don't want to bad mouth your daughter more than is necessary."

No.
Trilochan would never be able to look her in the eyes. Who was wrong, who was right, he didn't know. He too had been taught to never go to a girl when she was alone. It was his fault too. Then why did it feel like only she got punished ?

Every step was hard for him to take. The cries from her side of the family made his heart heavy. But he didn't hear her voice. Neither did she cry nor tried to stop him.

How could she ?

Why would she ?

And just like that their beautiful dream shattered.