100

He had no time to loose...

After coming this far...he could not just give it all up.

Aniruddh stood starring at the staircase Bondita used to leave. Leave...
Like...how many times would he have to tell her to not leave. Ever...
It killed him. She knew it.
That's it.

He stomped on the stairs, taking two at one. This could not be the way the night should end. That could not be the last thing she could say after such a touching topic. And so much... touching.
He growled at himself with lack of what he wanted to say. He knew nothing. But he would talk. Even if it were to count the stars or talk of weather. Something. Anything but not such awkward end. The more time he gave her, the more she would think of it and who knows what it would result to. She already was enough pressured.

Bondita sat wipping her tears on her bed. Knees folded, elbows resting over them facing the door. The door he came to stand at looking all bothered.

" Pati Babu ?" She squealed at the sudden arrival. She set her pallu to hide her tear stricken face between that and the light blocked by his figure.

" Yes...me..."

He didn't enter. Aniruddh stood fidgeting with his fingers not looking directly at her. She too sat straight fingers grasping her knees.  She would not let him touch her like that, it was too much for her, but she didn't want to offend him which she knew she had. But what should she have done ? She didn't understand it. The need for him to touch her there. He had touched her feet several times but this...

While walking up she was sure she did the right thing. But then why was she wondering what would happened had she not stopped him ? Why had she not noticed his hand sliding higher if it was that wrong ? It had felt... natural. She didn't know what pleasure it gave him. She didn't know if it gave her any pleasure...but... maybe a little more of it would have helped her figure out.

She was brought out of her thoughts as he cleared his throat.

" It...was not your fault Bondita...so don't...cry..."

" I was not..."

" That you hid it from me." Aniruddh said biting his lip trying to search for something. He could not just address what he had done. He didn't have courage to watch her face twist at the mention. But he had to say something. So he decided to finish the actual, real conversation they were having. That morning.

" The truth...of that night ?" Bondita asked confused. She had not expected him to talk of that still since there obviously was another thing to discuss. But...she was glad he didn't bring it up. She was glad he came up in the first place because she didn't have courage to do so. Shy she was, always had been, but today... even thinking of it. She knew he had not seen it, her exposed leg, the knee he had been drawing circles on, her flesh he sat clutching. He had not turned to look where his hand was, he had realised what he was doing and he had frozen. Ever the gentleman even in his desperation, he didn't look at her exposure.

People had gauged their eyes out when she had worn that school uniform and marched among them. A grown girl showing legs ? How could that be ? So what if they were covered in socks ? No no. Nothing that allowed more than a peek of the payal and aalta was allowed to be worn by a growing, wedded girl. But her Pati Babu had not blinked an eye. Had herself held her legs and made her wear shoes. But today...it was so different. She knew if she wore that shorter uniform tomorrow, it still won't effect him. But showing it with her saree risen up in a closed room, practically in his lap, crying and vulnerable...
She just understood it was something different.

" You...you know a very big blunder was made here in this house too. " She didn't much respond. " By...all the people of this haveli collectively. " She wiped her eyes clean. " On the night everyone thought I died."