40

Aniruddh had been pacing in his room the whole time as he waited for Bondita to come back. Praying to Durga maa to just have mercy on them both. She won't be able to handle a pregnancy and even if she does her whole future was on the line. And he himself ? He would not be able to see her in pain. He knew she would be telling him at every step that she was ok. She was brave...but he was not. He was not brave enough to see his Bondita in pain... The very thought, the imagination was throwing him into a turmoil.

Aniruddh's feet stopped as he heard the soft jingling of her anklets approaching his door. Every step making him take a step back, the sound synchronising with his heart beat. He was scared. All the courage he had been gathering since he decided to face her went out of the window as he heard the knock.

" Pati...Babu...?"

When did she come back ? Why didn't Bihari inform him when he clearly asked him to ? And was it even time for her to come back ? He glanced at the clock. Oh yes. It was.

Aniruddh heard the door creak open and immediately turned his back to the door. He was trying not to fight between his emotions where he one side wanted to run to her and pick her up in his arms and tell her that everything was going to be fine and on the other side tell her to never come into his room again, never come near him again. He just stood there with his back to her breathing roughly.

" Food is ready Pati Babu..."

She even cooked ? She had been home that long ? Bihari was going to get an earful.

" Hmmm..." Was the only response he could muster.

He went down and took his seat while Bondita served him food. He did not look up, did not ask for anything. She took care of his plate the whole time. He could not even tell her to sit beside him and eat today.
But it was taken care of.

" Bahu...!" Kaka spoke from his place. " You just sit and eat ok ? Servents can serve. You should not strain yourself."

Aniruddh mushed the luchi in his hand trying to keep his mouth shut. He knew why his Kaka said that. He had been trying to be subtle before but now that everything was in open, he was being happy about it. Happy with a possibility of her being pregnant. It was also a taunt towards Aniruddh, his failure and the fact that he could do nothing now if she really was pregnant.

" Kaka sasurji I will eat later."

" No. You will eat now !" Maybe be it was not the case but his Kaka seemed to be enjoying it. Enjoying rubbing it in his face that he knew better. But Aniruddh kept his mouth shut because Bondita really needed to eat. " Bihari get some milk for her too." Aniruddh hurriedly stuffed all the food gulping it down with a glass of water, all while he could feel her stare at him. He didn't want to eat but knew Bondita won't eat either if he didn't finish his plate. After clearing the plate he got up. He could not take this anymore.

Aniruddh waited by the gates that led to the angan, he knew Bondita would go there after finishing up her work.
She came.

" Bondita..."

She stood there, in front of him holding the golden boarder of her green saree's pallu with her right hand. Looking anywhere but at him.

" Ji Pati Babu..."

" I... need you...we need to go somewhere."

" Where...?" She innocently furrowed her brows. Durga...! She looked so innocent. How to tell her she was to be taken to check if she is pregnant.

" Doctor..." He could not read her expressions. Then she suddenly hit her forehead leaving her pallu.

" Oh...ho...Pati Babu...!" Not the reaction he was expecting.