92

Bondita heard the door of her room open at night. She smiled in relief. He was back and safe. Her back was to the door and she had made sure that her bare shoulder was covered because she knew he would come. She waited for him to close the door and go but she froze when she heard his footsteps coming towards her, his reflection in the mirror dark against the light coming from the open door. She clutched the covers and closed her eyes.

Aniruddh kept his left knee on the bed behind her back and bent over her to look at her nose. He could tell she was struggling to stay still. " Buddhu Bondita." He whispered with a smile waiting for a reaction. Nothing came. He sat beside her leaving a little space between her back and his. He looked down on her. Still nothing. " She thinks I will get her nose rings. As if."

What ? He won't ? It was not like Bondita really wanted him to get her anything but hearing him say it made her want to puff her cheeks.

" That too when she goes about doing whatever she wants." Aniruddh was really trying his luck. He wanted to see how long could she go on acting without giving up the fact that he knew she was acting. He never wanted her to know that.

But he did want her to know he could never get used to the fact that she could get hurt sometimes and that he could never be ok with it. Even if she was. He kept his hand on her head and saw her face relax. " Your Pati Babu see you in pain. Ever."

Bondita knew that but no matter how many times he said that she still wanted to hear it one more time. Aniruddh got up and was moving towards the door when an idea struck him. He wanted to scare her like he had been. Only she could tease him ? No.

Aniruddh knocked the jug of water and glass kept at her side table and hurriedly sat on the floor as if he had fallen down.

Bondita heard the crashing sound and before she could decide what to do she heard his scream.

" Aaaaa..."

" Pati Babu...!" She got up with a jerk and turned to look at him. Yes she was aware of her semi naked state and was holding her covers tight. He was sitting there at the floor. He looked as if he had slipped. His right foot against the leg of her side table which must have knocked down the water. " What are you doing here ?"

So she was going to hold on to her act ? Good. " I just came to see if you were up." He said trying to sound as if in pain.

" Then why are you sitting on the floor ?"

" I fell..."

" Oh..."

" Oh ? Oh ? How about coming here and helping me up ?"

Bondita wanted to. He could be hurt. But she could not. How could she come infront of him with no blouse ? " Are you hurt ?" She asked from her bed looking at him.

" No. Do you want me to be ?" He said sitting straight.

" No. Why would I ?"

" Looks like it since you don't seem to take any interest in helping me."

" Pati Babu...it is late. If you are fine then get up...and..."

" And...?" He furrowed his brows. " And what ? Go away ?"

" No... I meant..." She didn't want to seem harsh but she really could not climb down.

" Are you kicking me out ?" He looked hurt.

" Get up first Pati Babu..."

" I won't..."

" You said you were not hurt."

" I am now ! You are kicking me out and you don't even care to come and have a look. I have been noticing since past few weeks you have been avoiding me."