24

The breakfast had been a stressful affair for Aniruddh. Everyone went around doing preparations for the party to be thrown in the evening for Bondita's birthday. There would musicians to play songs, dancers, a lot of lights and decorations and ofcourse each and every dish Bondita liked and more. He wanted Bondita to enjoy today. But he did want to tell her to stay away from Chandrachur.

Sumati had seen her Bondita a little tensed since morning.
" Bondita..." She kept a hand on Bondita's head, caressing it. " I didn't even get a chance to talk to you properly."
Bondita looked up and smiled at her mother. How had she missed her touch. She rested her head on Sumati's shoulder, arms around her maa.

" How are you...? Everything good at haveli ?"

" Yes maa, everything is good. Couldn't be better." She felt so satisfied being with her mother, eyes closed and a smile placed on her lips.

" You don't make your pati babu worry much, do you ?" Her maa asked, faking strictness.

" That is my right maa." She half laughed. " He gets worried if I don't give him a reason to worry. It helps to keep his brain activated," This earned her a slap on the back of her head.

" Don't you feel ashamed ? Talking about your pati babu like this" There was no anger in voice.
Bondita now sat straight, rubbing her head.

" Maa...!"

" What maa? Haven't I taught you to take care of him, to never give him a chance to complain ?"

Bondita's Chachi, Rimjhim, had been sitting there, dusting utensils for the evening, seemingly irritated. Couldn't Thakuma's ask a servent to do it ? No, she just liked it when people were miserable around her.

" You should listen to your mother." She chipped in. " He is your husband."

" No, no... I am not asking Bondita to be good to him only because he is her husband." Sumati now looked at Bondita. " I ask you to be good to him because he deserves it. Take care of him because he cares for you, respect him because he respects you. Bondita, you couldn't have found a better husband and family." Bondita knew it too well. " People take it for granted when good people arrive thinking them to be common but look around you Bondita. I don't want to force you to be happy just because you should be happy with what ever your sasural provides, I want you to be happy because what you have is worth appreciating."

Sumati could feel a tear running down her cheek, happy tears, happiness that her daughter had what every mother dreams for her daughter. " It is way more than what your poor mother could have ever managed for you."

Bondita could not see her mother crying, even if it was out of contentment. " No maa. Don't say that. You gave me the best of everything and..."

" Your mother is right..." Chachi's sharp voice came in. She was not bad at heart but the words that came out of her mouth could never creat a good image of her. " You remember the first husband she got you ?"

People in this house did not get the concept that birthdays are supposed to be a happy day for the one and it felt like they were putting in an effort to ruin it. It was right to some point. Chachi had been a little jealous of all the celebration that was going to be. Her daughters never got such a treatment from thakuma. She knew thakuma loved her daughters but Bondita had been getting way more attention because of the house she was married in. Married to a man who would put husbands around the village to shame, a family that had people bowing down to them on roads. She didn't hate Bondita but had wanted such things for her own daughters.

" You don't..." Sumati started.

" Oh...!" Chachi cut in, ignoring her. " She doesn't even remember her first husband !" There was a mock in her tone. " I know everything. You know Bondita..."