72

Savages...

Savages...

Savages...

Aniruddh pulled his hair as he sat on his table in his study early the next morning. What was he thinking saying such a thing infront of her ?!
And what was that about having a taste ? Really, really Aniruddh ?

He leaned back in his chair sighing. This was no way to talk infront of her, to her. She didn't take offense but it didn't mean he should take it for granted. This was what had become a sort of routine. Him loosing his thought process either due to anger or grief or happiness and later regretting whatever he did to her in those moments of lost senses. And the worst part was he could see no way out.

Was this who he was ? He thought himself to be a man of discipline. Of self control. But perhaps he was not. Or maybe he had held back for too long because now he felt like a deprived man around her sometimes. Deprived of what, he didn't want to even say to himself. It was not even about attraction anymore. It was getting on a biological level. He needed to do something about this. He really did.

" Barrister Babu." Bihari stood at the study gate. " Aarti ji is here to see you." Aniruddh was too disturbed to notice that not so pleasent expression on his servant's face who was way too loyal towards the Malikin of the haveli.

" Do send her in Bihari." Aniruddh had been expecting a call today, the reason for his early day today, regarding the hearing on the annulment matter. Aarti ji too was visiting for the same. It was a big day, the first step. He would be presenting his case if the call came with a good news. He was hoping it to be a good news. Perhaps he should call Bondita. Her face in the morning could prove to be lucky. He was the grih Lakshmi afterall.
He knew how this must have sounded like to his own ears if he spoke it out loud but he understood why a woman was considered that lucky. Because whenever in dire situation, the first thing that comes to a man's mind is a woman. Be it his mother, be it his wife. Sometimes a daughter too. The urge to see Bondita's face so that his day goes lucky was so much that he had peeped in her room that morning to look at her and he was able to. She looked so peaceful, all covered up in the blanket upto her chin. Like a mouse. He smiled thinking of her.

" Namashkar Barrister Babu." Aarti ji greeted him.

" Namashkar. Please have a seat."

" Nervous ?" She asked sitting down.

" Very. Just one green light is all I need. I am sure the set of laws I am now suggesting would be appreciated to be in good taste. We have worked very hard."

" You have worked very hard. All we have done is follow you."

Aniruddh just smiled politely, completely at a lose of words. He had taken care while working on the case that no girl willing to spend a life with her husband and no man that cherished his wife had to suffer. He really did try his best. Any loop holes, he would fix if he got a chance atleast to present it. Atleast pass at the first level.

" Aniruddh Babu..." His name from her mouth felt alien to him. She usually called him Barrister Babu. " Can I ask you something ?"

" Sure."

" It is personal but related to our mission. So I hope you don't mind me asking."

" What is it ?"

" What would you do ?"

" Regarding ?"

" What would you do if the law passes ?"

Aniruddh had never seen her take interest in his personal life before. He had full knowledge of her past. How she was married to an older man at a very young age, how she was treated at her sasural, got widowed. Degraded to a point where she had to run away and take refuge at a woman's ashram where she started her social work. But he had never told her much. She knew why he got married and every other thing the whole village knew. But nothing from him.