135

Aniruddh got up the next morning in his study and the first thing he saw was... Bondita. She was curled up on the sofa in front of him.

Why...?

He got up. It looked like it was way past pooja time. Almost his time to leave for court. He had to go there today. He felt really tired and just exhausted but work was work. He slowly remembered everything that had happened yesterday. And the night before.

No.

He needed to work. And if he woke Bondita up, well he didn't think he was up for any confrontations today. It was raining again. How much was it going to rain ? It made everything more gloomy. Grey. It made him want to go curl up in his bed. He could not. He made his way to his room trying to not come in anyone's eyes and got ready to go to court.

" Where is he ?!" Bondita stood shouting at Bihari.

" Malkin... I don't know. No one knows..."

" Look for him ! He is not well ! Everyone knows he had a fever last night. He has to take his medicine again. Go look for him !"

" Bondita !" It was Batuk. His school was cancelled because of the rain. " I asked the watchman. Dada went out. Probably to court. He was wearing his robe."

" Court !" Bondita exclaimed. " In this weather ?"

" Boudi, he is not a child. He can't just decide to sit around the house one day." Batuk said as he turned and went away.

It was a jab at her, Bondita knew. Her Pati Babu was disappointed by her not going to school and the only other person who probably actually cared was Batuk. They were best friends. Partners in school, studies and mischief. They had grown distant lately.

Bondita packed up food. She was going to go to court herself to make him eat something. Informing Sampurna and begging her to not tell anyone else, she took Bihari and headed for court.

And she found him there. It was not that difficult. Everyone knew where Barrister Babu was. He was in a sitting room. That is what it looked like. There were very few other people. They all wore black robes. She was struck by an image of her wearing them. That and her sitting here beside her Pati Babu, helping him. Learning from him.

But she gave up on it... right...?

" Bondita ?"

He looked surprised to see her here. " I brought lunch."

" It is..." He looked out of the window and then back at her. " It is raining...You should not have."

" Don't worry. You just have this and I have kept your medicine inside."

" Medicine...?"

" You were not well last night. You are not well even now. I should go now."

" I wish I could ask you to stay..."

" Pati Babu...it is alright." She smiled. " We are in court. Do eat it. I will see you at home."

She was walking past the open corridors when she heard a voice.

" Is Barrister Babu here today ?"

That voice. Even with the rain batting down, she could not miss that voice.

Aarti.

Bondita felt her blood boil at just the sight. Plain white saree, long tied up hair.  Looking like she was some saint. She turned and caught her looking at her. Bondita saw her looking stunned. Of course she wasn't expecting this encounter.

Bondita saw her turn from her to the steps that lead outside the court even though the man she asked for directions, pointed her to the other side. Bondita followed her with Bihari behind her, an umbrella in his hand, preventing her from the rain.