131

Bondita was restless. She knew what she said was right. No one can understand the other's pain unless they go through it. But she also could have just kept her mouth shut. She knew exactly what had come over her. Fear.

Fear of being surrounded by men. Boys. Teenage boys. Curious ones. Once who, unlike her, had an actual married life. A physical relationship with their wives. They all knew about what happened to her. Exactly what happened to her.

She could not bring herself to face the world. Face those boys. Face her teachers.

And now, for a completely different reason, she could not face her Pati Babu. She would never wish him ill but it must have sounded that way to him.

" Ugghhh..." She needed to get out of this room. But she didn't find any peace in the kitchen too. Why ?

" No..." Bondita heard as she was about to enter the kitchen. " Just...no..." Koyeli ?

" But why ?" It was Bhari Babu. What was happening. Was he... crying...?

There was a silence and she heard heavy footsteps. Peaking in, she saw only Koyeli. Bhari Babu must have left from the back door. " Koyeli..." Bondita entered the kitchen startling her poor servant.

" Chh...Malikin...!" She stood straight.

" Is... everything alright ?" Bondita looked around suspiciosly. Nothing out of order.

" Ji Malikin. You needed something ?"

" A glass of warm milk. " Bondita was not sure if she should pri. But it did look like Koyeli was troubled. Bondita watched her as she got to work.

" Here." It just took a few minutes for the milk.

" Koyeli, you know you can tell me everything, right ?" Bondita could see the desperation in her eyes but she just nodded with half a smile.

Bondita had come down with a head filled with worries and was now going up to her room with new ones.

" You..." Aniruddh sat still. Chilled.

" Who else ?" Her smile. He knew it was indication of nothing good. Forgetting his hammering headache, he got up with a jerk from his chair, accidentally knocking her. And she somehow, in order to steady herself, ended up holding his left arm. She was drenched. It was raining outside.

" Why are you here ?" Aniruddh asked jerking his arm away from her.

" You treat me as if I am poison."

" You are. Now get out." He didn't hesitate. This was so wrong.

" Poison..." She stepped closer. Aniruddh held his breath, back pressed to his chair. " Beauty always is..."

He tried to clear his vision by blinking rapidly. His headache was killing him. He didn't need this right now. " What are you..."

" Is it not ?" One more step that she took, made him slither away. Or he tried to. He was stopped. His left hand in her firm grip. It was not that he could not jerk it away. It was the fact that his anger might make him hurt her at this point was what had him in control. " Tell me Aniruddh Babu... Aniruddh..." Her voice was low. Sweet. Musical. " Am I not beautiful ?" Fake. She sounded so fake. So made up. That was when he realised, she was made up. Her lips were unaturally red. Eyes wider because of the kajal and cheeks were more colourful. Women hardly wore this kind of makeup in his village unless going to a function or special occasion. Let alone a widow. What was she up to ?

" Aarti..." He tried to use a more reasonable, understanding voice. Anything to get her out of here. " What is it ?" He said, pulling his hand back.

" You didn't answer my question."