132

Bondita could hardly comprehend what was happening she was engulfed in his hug. Her Pati Babu had her in the tightest grip. He was breathing rapidly. His chest trembled against her as he whispered in her ears words she could not pick up. He sounded troubled. She just heard her name between the whispers. She was scared now. She encircled him to hold him realising he was drenched.

" What happened ?!" She tried to get away to look at him. He just held her closer. In doing so she felt his hands on her back. Her bare back. His fingers digging in her skin, she froze. Suddenly she got too conscious of her self. She wasn't wearing her blouse and her saree pallu was halfway on the floor. She was just shocked by it not offended but it seemed it brought him out of whatever stupor he was in. His hands stopped and he slowly stood straight. His fingers withdrew making her feel colder. And just like that he was gone.

Just like the way he came.

What just happened ?

Did she dream it all ?

No...

She could still feel his fingers...

Gathering her saree and throwing it roughly on, she pulled a shawl from her almirah, picked up the lamp and ran to his room, hoping it was where he had gone.

" Pati Babu open the door." She knocked softly. There was shuffling on the other side but he didn't open it. " Pati Babu, I am requesting you to open the door... Pati Babu...?" She looked around nervously, her knocks a little more urgent. " Pati Babu...I...I am not dressed properly, please let me in..."

The doors finally opened and she rushed in, locking it securely. She turned to see him sitting at the edge of the bed, his clothes still wet.

"Pati Babu why are you sitting like that ?" She pulled a set of kurta out and walked to him. It felt like her only contribution to his life these days was drawing his clothes out for him. " Here. " She said putting the clothes beside him on the bed. " Go and change." He still didn't move. His head hanging low and both hands beside him, he sat without uttering a word. Or acknowledging her presence. She raised her hand to his chin to pull his face up. " Look here Pati Babu." As soon as her fingers reached near his chin, he grabbed her hand, stopping her. It was a reaction so fast. His head snapped up and she could see red eyes from behind his tousled wet hair. He looked angry at first but his expressions softened, as if realising just now that it was his Bondita.

Bondita was herself on the verge of snapping and scolding him. Why was he not saying anything ? And then her eyes landed on his shirt. More precisely on the red smudged mark there.

" What is that ?" She asked not knowing she should be worried or scared.

Aniruddh followed her eyes and Bondita saw them widen in shock.

" This is not mine !" In the quite of the night his sound seemed as if he had shout it out. " I... I..."

" Pati Babu, what is that ?" The guilt she could see in his eyes was sinking her heart. " Pati Babu ! Tell me... What happened ?!"

" No... nothing..." He stood up, rubbing his hands on his pants.

" It doesn't seem like nothing. Pati Babu..." She stopped as she saw him harshly rubbing the red mark. " Stop ! What are you trying to do ?" She held his hand. She looked closely at the mark as well as she could in the light of the lamp. The storm outside had rendered the electricity connection of the haveli useless. " Is this..." She looked at him, she felt like she was about to cry. It looked like the lali she had bought for herself with Sampurna Didi. But she had not yet used it in front of him. Then... " Who's is...is..."

" I didn't do anything..." He tried to whisper but it came out too weak.

" What didn't...you do...?"

" I..." He tried looking anywhere else but her.